News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone else get the Covid Vaccine?

Started by Thewintersoldier, January 09, 2021, 02:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker775

So because they were doing the trials fairly quickly, there is a chance that they aren't quite as effective as original trials demonstrate.  That really shouldn't be a shocker to anyone.  There has been a whole lot of digital ink spilled during this pandemic with folks chasing the 100% perfect versus the more realistic 'good enough'.  All the crap that folks like to spew that 'masks don't do anything', 'they don't stop everything' or trying to sanitize vegetables has just been a distraction from the reality that if you just do a few things reasonably well such as wear your dang mask and wash your hands and don't do big gatherings, you'll stand a good chance of avoiding this thing until the imperfect vaccines roll around and bring this thing under enough control that we can all start going to concerts again.

jimilee

Quote from: slacker775 on January 30, 2021, 04:12:12 PM
.... if you just do a few things reasonably well such as wear your dang mask and wash your hands and don't do big gatherings, you'll stand a good chance of avoiding this thing until the imperfect vaccines roll around and bring this thing under enough control that we can all start going to concerts again.

So true. And, if it hasn't been mentioned or if it has, I will reiterate, wearing your mask serves two purposes, the second one is making it less likely you'll touch your face. Just throwing it out there.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

I have more than once witnessed someone pull down their face mask so they could insert their finger into their nostril.   ::)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

So because they were doing the trials fairly quickly, there is a chance that they aren't quite as effective as original trials demonstrate.  That really shouldn't be a shocker to anyone.  There has been a whole lot of digital ink spilled during this pandemic with folks chasing the 100% perfect versus the more realistic 'good enough'.  All the crap that folks like to spew that 'masks don't do anything', 'they don't stop everything' or trying to sanitize vegetables has just been a distraction from the reality that if you just do a few things reasonably well such as wear your dang mask and wash your hands and don't do big gatherings, you'll stand a good chance of avoiding this thing until the imperfect vaccines roll around and bring this thing under enough control that we can all start going to concerts again.

If the forum had a like button, this ^^^

I was also reading about how the MRNA vaccines can be adapted pretty quickly to changes in the virus, which sounds promising.

slacker775

The whole mRNA thing is really interesting.   Seems akin to having a standard pedal base that handles I/O, power filtering and standard tone controls and you just need to fit the actual meat for the effect.  May wind up being a game changer for future vaccine development.   I was reading that they've found some common protein(s) for different strains of the flu so if they could make a vax that targeted that, it could largely work on most/all strains.  The future could be pretty bright, or we will all be zombies.  I for one welcome our undead overlords!

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX

DLW

So because they were doing the trials fairly quickly, there is a chance that they aren't quite as effective as original trials demonstrate.

No.

Muadzin

Here in the Netherlands vaccination goes at a snails pace. We were one of the last countries in Europe to start vaccinating and are among the worst in Europe with numbers of people vaccinated. Which I suspect is because the incompetent moron who is the health minister, wants to be photographed with every person getting the vaccine. They also don't have enough, but what they have they mostly keep in stock, rather then vaccinate people with it.

Drew Hallenbeck

I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on the 24th and have my second dose scheduled for Valentine's Day.
I'm included in group 1B because of my job.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Thewintersoldier

I got my second dose of the moderna yesterday morning. I didn't start feeling anything until about 5 hours after I got the shot. Last night I got some aches and pains and woke up this morning with my arm really sore and low grade fever off and on. After chills/aches and pains all morning I'm starting to feel better. Expecting to go back to work tomorrow. Not to bad considering how terrible covid can be. I'll take 24 hours of symptoms over weeks/months.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Aentons

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on February 02, 2021, 09:06:17 PM
I got my second dose of the moderna yesterday morning. I didn't start feeling anything until about 5 hours after I got the shot. Last night I got some aches and pains and woke up this morning with my arm really sore and low grade fever off and on. After chills/aches and pains all morning I'm starting to feel better. Expecting to go back to work tomorrow. Not to bad considering how terrible covid can be. I'll take 24 hours of symptoms over weeks/months.

I wonder if there is any correlation of how you react to the shot, to how you would have reacted to getting it for real.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Aentons on February 02, 2021, 09:32:50 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on February 02, 2021, 09:06:17 PM

I wonder if there is any correlation of how you react to the shot, to how you would have reacted to getting it for real.
I don't think so, the side effects and severity seem to be pretty consistent amongst the people vaccinated at my work and my wife's work, and thats a pretty large diverse group of people in the healthcare system. Covid seems to be be pretty varied and how it affects people. I've seen young healthy people die and old immunocompromised people beat it. I don't wanna take the risk.
Who the hell is Bucky?

icecycle66

I got my second dose last week.  No chills or fever.  Just a sore arm and a headache the day after.  The worst of it came the evening after, I was sluggish and a bit more wore out than usual. By the next morning I was fine.

Drew Hallenbeck

Waiting outside the clinic for my second dose right now.
I'm not expecting any serious side effects but we'll see....
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.