Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A bit of a fuzzy start to the year...

Started by cooder, January 13, 2021, 06:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

... don't we all have that?

Anyway, here's more boxings:
Hudson Broadcaster, this has the functionality of the dual footswitch original but in a 125B and one footswitch and one vol control. More space on pedal board. It still has the 9 to 27 V chargepump circuitry and that's a banger, really makes a big difference and more versatility for sure.
Rippin'...

I had a noiiiice OC 44 in the stash with 82 hfe and low leakage, and that spins my wheels...

Next up is 'Freak Fuzz' on 'Fuschia Fuzz pedalpcb board' (aka Bearfoot FX Pink Purple Fuzz) with homebrew relay bypass.
Recycled enclosure, that's why it's black inside. Great versatile fuzzyness.

And Turbo Fuzz, a Fuzz Factory brew up with option to switch transistors from GE to SI and a tone control, fat switch.
Crazy cookie it is. Even more crazy now, if that's possible.
ACY21 GE trannies, because I had them and they are just whacky enough in there.

BigNoise Amplification

Thewintersoldier

I love that homer graphic, epic! Especially since my youngest discovered the Simpsons lol and that fuzz factory is killer, how does it sound with all silicon? I wanna do a 8 knob fuzz factory with all si.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

Yeah, these look great! Definitely curious about the Fuchsia fuzz--did you need a higher-gain germanium or anything like that?

studiodunn

DOH!!!!
Awesome stuff. I so dig your stuff. The pots are as far away from the FS as possible and the guts are just so clean. It all really appeals to my OCD, which by the way always loses to my ADD in my own builds.

jjjimi84

More great work! Love that fuzz factory a lot. How does it sound mixing up the transistors? What about bias on them? Did you have to find matching sets of ge/si?

cooder

Thanks for comments guys, much appreciated!
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 14, 2021, 03:51:15 AM
I love that homer graphic, epic! Especially since my youngest discovered the Simpsons lol and that fuzz factory is killer, how does it sound with all silicon? I wanna do a 8 knob fuzz factory with all si.
I would say the Si trannies sound a bit sharper, more treble and punchy. A bit more chainsaw fuzz. The GE are softer and spongier, a bit rounder. It's fun to mix and match them at the flick of switch.
So much depends on the knob settings on a Fuzz Factory though, such a wild circuit...
Quote from: Bret608 on January 14, 2021, 07:08:38 AM
Yeah, these look great! Definitely curious about the Fuchsia fuzz--did you need a higher-gain germanium or anything like that?
I think from the top of my head the GE tranny in there had a bit over 90hfe and medium leakage. It simply sounded good to me with that, I think it's often in trialing what you have and listening if it kicks butt.

Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 14, 2021, 03:06:36 PM
More great work! Love that fuzz factory a lot. How does it sound mixing up the transistors? What about bias on them? Did you have to find matching sets of ge/si?

Yeah mixing is intersting, see description above. With all those controls that mess around with the trannies and also mess around with the bias on purpose I just stuck a pair of typical Fuzz Face value GE's in there, I think from memory around 70 and 85 hfe (depending on room temperature and date of menstrual cycle... :P) and medium leakage. It worked fine to me. I don't think in that circuit you have to be overly picky, it's more about tweaking the knob settings to get the sound or chaos that you like. That is at least my experience so far.
It can do a nice Fuzz Face impersonation with the right knob settings or complete oscillation chaos on other.
BigNoise Amplification

madbean

Champion, d00d. Seriously, these are tight frigging builds.

cooder

Quote from: madbean on January 14, 2021, 06:57:39 PM
Champion, d00d. Seriously, these are tight frigging builds.
Cheers Brian, that's high praise indeed coming from you!
BigNoise Amplification