News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Princeton OD and Vertigo

Started by cooder, January 17, 2021, 03:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Princeton is a workalike of Analogman Prince of Tone with added chargepump to switch from 9 to 18V and I do prefer the sounds on 18V on first trial run. A bit punchier and clearer me thinks.

Vertigo is workalike of Catalinbread Pareidolia which basically a harmonic tremolo with a XR2206 chip as LFO generator. Has it's own unique sound going, somewhere between harmonic tremolo and univibe-ish.
I had built a standalone one awhile back on a pedalpcb board, loaned to a friend, as it goes, he didn't wanna let go of it, so here we are with a new one. This allowed me also to put an LFO led in, because why not.
Unique sounding modulation it is.
There's apparently a bunch of fake XR2206 on evilbay, but I have been lucky so far with the lot I got.

BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

Man you are crushing it lately! A couple of questions about the Princeton OD, is the internal dip switches for the caps next to them as a low cut kinda thing and where did you procure those fancy diodes? been looking for some ma856 and ba282s.

cooder

Cheers Dan! One side of DIP switch adds a 10k resistor in parallel and the other side adds a 1uF cap in the feedback loop of opamp.
Both change the freq response, I don't know how better to describe it. I designed it after 'The Pauper' schematic on pedal pcb, scheck out their schematic to see the connections to DIP switch.

The diodes I think I got many moons ago from pedalhacker https://www.pedalhackerelectronics.com/Original-Panasonic-MA856-Diode-p/ma856.htm.

Edit: let me add to that I'm not sure how worth it is to sniff the cork on these diodes... Aparrently Mr. Mike Analogman has gone to using 1N34A's awhile back after running out of the originally speced MA856.
And I don't know where to get BA286 diodes, would be interesting to hear about that and possible substitutes.
BigNoise Amplification

Thewintersoldier

Great builds again Cooder! You've started the year on one hell of a roll. As far as the diodes in the princeton go I wouldn't sweat it much. I tried a lot of different diodes in my KOT build and the differences are so subtle that it's not worth the effort or money to get the unicorn tears. I put it up against a real KOT and as long as the fv is close it will sound the part.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 17, 2021, 06:42:28 PM
Great builds again Cooder! You've started the year on one hell of a roll. As far as the diodes in the princeton go I wouldn't sweat it much. I tried a lot of different diodes in my KOT build and the differences are so subtle that it's not worth the effort or money to get the unicorn tears. I put it up against a real KOT and as long as the fv is close it will sound the part.

But the unicorn tears are the reason for the three year waitlist, right? I usually just match forward voltages but I thought if it was somewhere accessible I would grab some. Small bear is out of the diodes I am looking for, mn 3007 chips and tee shirts in my size, first world problems.

rockola

Fun picture of Felix the Cat (is it just a cool image, or is there a Princeton connection?), and Vertigo looks just like the record label logo on acid. (Or so I've been told.) But what wood is that gorgeous table made of?

cooder

Quote from: rockola on January 17, 2021, 10:18:45 PM
Fun picture of Felix the Cat (is it just a cool image, or is there a Princeton connection?), and Vertigo looks just like the record label logo on acid. (Or so I've been told.) But what wood is that gorgeous table made of?
Ya Felix is cool, no direct connection, he might just have a laugh that the Prince of Tone is just a hot rodded Bluesbreaker I guess.
The timber is Macrocarpa which is widely grown on NZ on farms as windbreaks, for timber and firewood and stuff.
Does very well here in the climate, better than in it's native origins of California. Lovely timber to work with, has a very distinct sweet smell when sanded and cut, even after years of drying.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupressus_macrocarpa
BigNoise Amplification

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 17, 2021, 08:20:56 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 17, 2021, 06:42:28 PM
Don't be afraid of the xvive reissue mn3007s. I've used plenty of them and they are great.  cabintech has them all the time.

But the unicorn tears are the reason for the three year waitlist, right? I usually just match forward voltages but I thought if it was somewhere accessible I would grab some. Small bear is out of the diodes I am looking for, mn 3007 chips and tee shirts in my size, first world problems.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Felix the cat!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Those look great! You're really selling me on the 18V, I'm planning to retrofit a few of my builds.

cooder

Quote from: Bio77 on January 18, 2021, 04:21:54 PM
Those look great! You're really selling me on the 18V, I'm planning to retrofit a few of my builds.
You could always try with external chargepump mock up to see how big a difference it makes in sound befiore you butcher it in. In this circuit it does make some difference, in other circuits it's a big difference like the jfet amp style pedals (Catalinbread DLS, 5F6 or Dr. Boogie). Or of course if your power supply has an 18V tap anyway easy to compare.
BigNoise Amplification