News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone Offering Drilling Services?

Started by jposega, January 17, 2021, 08:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jposega

I want to get back into pedal-building but I'm living in an apartment without access to a drill.

I know there are companies that will do large quantities of enclosures, but I'm really just trying to build a small handful of pedals.

Is there anyone in the continental US that would drill a couple enclosures for a fee?

Thanks!

Drew Hallenbeck

I know there are a few places based in the US that offer drilling services. One issue that a lot of folks have is the minimum order quantities that most of them seem to have. I completely understand the absolute nightmare it would be to run efficient production with low quantities or a bunch of one-offs and I don't blame the business owners/operators at all. But it does make it a little frustrating for the average hobbyist.

I'm guessing the drilling isn't done here in the US but Tayda offers a custom drilling service without any minimum quantity and it's pretty low-cost.
I've never used their drilling service so I can't attest to the results/quality but I'll probably give them a try pretty soon just to see how it works out.
I recently ordered a couple of enclosures using their UV printing service. I'm still waiting for them to come in the mail to see how they turned out. That's another thing that seems to be fairly difficult to source locally without minimum quantities of 20 or more....

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/enclosures/enclosure-custom-drill-service.html
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Willybomb

Tayda also have a stacks of pre-drilled enclosures for the pedalpcb boards, but there's no reason you can't repurpose those to your builds (unless your layouts are super crazy).

jkokura

In your shoes, I'd reach out on a local Facebook Marketplace and see if there's anyone around who would let you rent their garage with a Drill press for an hour, and go do it yourself. You may even find someone who will let you borrow their equipment and space for free. Bring your own drill bits.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jposega on January 17, 2021, 08:35:37 PM
I want to get back into pedal-building but I'm living in an apartment without access to a drill.

I know there are companies that will do large quantities of enclosures, but I'm really just trying to build a small handful of pedals.

Is there anyone in the continental US that would drill a couple enclosures for a fee?

Thanks!
If you're in the Metro Detroit area I'll do it for you, if not wish I could be of more help.
Who the hell is Bucky?

davent

I bought my daughter a hand drill for Christmas so i could get mine back. They're not that expensive and with quality drill bits, a ruler and a center punch it's not hard to get excellent result drilling aluminum enclosures with a hand drill.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jposega

Thanks all! I didn't know Tayda did custom with no minimums. I'm thinking of putting together a small handful of Madbean projects right now, so I'm still hopeful I'll find another hobbyist that would be happy to get a little kickback for helping out.