News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

finding "mojo" parts

Started by gtr2, August 03, 2010, 06:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

Anyone have good ideas/sources for mojo parts out of old electronics etc...  I've got a few yard sale finds, but nothing to cool..
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Get some old devices from a pawn shop or thrift store and tear them apart to find their circuits. Sometimes you'll be surprised to find fishy caps, carbon comp resistors, etc.

Also, sometimes you'll see guys selling them at diystompboxes or BYOC forums. I think Capsnsuch will sometimes release a stash of mojo on occaision also.

I think 'fake mojo' can work too. There are new parts available that are 'different' enough to qualify as NOS parts.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

stecykmi

I once "borrowed" a big old handful of tropical fish caps from the electronics lab at school. they weren't using them! they don't even build circuits in that lab anymore, it's all digital stuff.

anyway, you can try and find the old school electronics shop in your town. it's a good bet if they salvage electronics. stores that do usually have the old weirdo parts that you're after.

gtr2

Thanks, I've already bought some old stuff to rip up with limited success.  I was looking for certain makers or models that may have some good old parts...

I wonder if in the future we will have to salvage all our parts from past electronics, as surface mount components are taking over the world  :o
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer