News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NABD

Started by madbean, January 20, 2021, 11:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

New acoustic baritone day. I've wanted a bari acoustic for a long time and found a pretty good deal on this used Alvarez. It's got an LR Baggs pickup system in it, too.

Out of the box, the setup was okay but the strings were grody. I put on the new strings but then the setup went pretty out of whack (they are a heavier gauge it seems). So, I've been working on that for a couple of days. Filed the nut slots a bit, took out a lot of relief in a few passes over several hours. String action is sitting at 8/64th to 6/64th B to B which is still too high, so I think the saddle will need to be lowered. But, with each adjustment the playability and even tone is improving. Overall a decent deal for the money spent. And, it is very fun to play. Old familiars sound new and interesting when you are tuned down a 4th!

Long term I may end up finding a lighter gauge string for it. I could see over a few years the bridge possibly lifting due to the enormous string tension. Maybe a humidifier for it would help - I've never used or had one.

PS - scale length is a bit over 27" which is actually shorter than my bari electric. Not a hard adjustment to make with playing.

cooder

Beautiful and I bet she sounds huge. Excellent score! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Nice. Alvarez always made great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dan.schumaker

The few times I've played through a baritone acoustic at the music shops, I've fell in love with the sound.  Taylor used to make a baritone 8-string with octaves on the G & D string, and that thing was amazing to play through.  Awesome looking guitar, have fun with it!

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects