News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Collosalus 2015 question resolved

Started by jimilee, January 19, 2021, 01:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

If I were to get a 12v power supply, would I need to make any modifications or just keep it at the 9v config? Same noise everyone else seems to have. I have it at a minimum after working it for two days, it's usable now with just a little noise and that classic flanger swoosh. I"m thinking a noise gate will get rid of that little bit.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

danfrank

What kind of noise? Hetrodyning from the BBD clock and charge pump? If so, try putting a 30-50pf cap between pin 7 of the charge pump and ground. This will lower the frequency of the charge pump... Ideally, you want the CP to be at 17-20 kHz. If you have a frequency counter you can get the CP working frequency from pin 2 of CP

jimilee

Quote from: danfrank on January 19, 2021, 03:35:45 PM
What kind of noise? Hetrodyning from the BBD clock and charge pump? If so, try putting a 30-50pf cap between pin 7 of the charge pump and ground. This will lower the frequency of the charge pump... Ideally, you want the CP to be at 17-20 kHz. If you have a frequency counter you can get the CP working frequency from pin 2 of CP
Maybe so, it's dead quiet with a battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

danfrank

Hmm... A battery will also use the charge pump so maybe it's not hetrodyning... Are you using a switching wall wart like a One Spot? Some of those switching supplies are noisy. Try finding a linear wall wart supply to power it, one that has an actual step down transformer in it.

jimilee

Quote from: danfrank on January 20, 2021, 01:11:31 AM
Hmm... A battery will also use the charge pump so maybe it's not heterodyning... Are you using a switching wall wart like a One Spot? Some of those switching supplies are noisy. Try finding a linear wall wart supply to power it, one that has an actual step down transformer in it.
Yeah, I looked up heterodyning sounds, definitely power supply noise. I use a Dunlop power brick most of the time. I've tried 2 boss power supplies and a boss wall wart. Now, I live in an apartment, do you think that has anything to do with it? How can I calibrate it with a frequency counter? I have a decent DMM I can use.

danfrank

Well the frequency counter is to see what frequency the charge pump is operating at. LT1054 CPs are typically rated at 25kHz operating frequency but that is not a frequency set in stone... The last batch of 1054s I bought from Mouser all operated at 35kHz and they definitely caused hetrodyning issues in flangers and chorus circuits. This is where a small cap from pin 7 of CP to ground helps to lower the CP frequency to where it won't cause noise issues with clock circuits. This probably won't help in your case as it definitely sounds like a power supply issue.
What I would do is add a 2200-4700uf electrolytic cap at the DC power jack, inside your Collosalus pedal box. Whatever will fit inside. This should fix any 60Hz power supply noise. If you're using a switching power supply, try some 1uf MLCC caps in the same place along with a 1000uf electrolytic.

Or buy a bunch of batteries!

jimilee

Hey man, I really appreciate your help.

jimilee

I bought a 12v power supply and removed the charge pump and diodes and all is right with the world. This resolved all of the issues and sounds amazing.