News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eagle multiple ground pours... How to see what's connected where

Started by Aentons, January 26, 2021, 11:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

I'm newish to Eagle and circuit design in general so please be gentle... :)

I'm specifically looking at the VFE Blueprint Eagle file and can see it's a 2 layer board with the normal top and bottom layers. The entire top layer has hatch pour named GND. The bottom layer is split into two pours, right between pins 3 and 4 of the pt2399. The upper pour is named GND and the lower is named V+. Just trying to figure out what's going on behind the scenes. I assume this was done to separate the AGND and DGND but I can't make heads or tails of it.

In Eagle, how do you see which pads and vias are connected to cooper pours? I can see the outline for the polygons of area ofthe pours, but not much else.

PMowdes2

Sounds like the bottom pour is the ground plane, and the top pour carries the positive supply.  They aren't two separate ground planes.

If you use the ratsnest button it will fill the polygons, and providing the polygon line with is heavy enough you should see the gnd pads connect to the bottom plane, and the V+ pads connect on the top plane
DeadEndFX

Aentons

Quote from: PMowdes2 on January 26, 2021, 11:47:26 AM
Sounds like the bottom pour is the ground plane, and the top pour carries the positive supply.  They aren't two separate ground planes.
Sorry, I could have been more clear...

There are 3 separate pours. The screenshot only shows the 2 pours (upper/lower) within the bottom layer. The 3rd pour is in the top layer (not shown)

Top layer = GND
Upper Bottom layer = GND
Lower Bottom layer = V+

If you use the ratsnest button it will fill the polygons, and providing the polygon line with is heavy enough you should see the gnd pads connect to the bottom plane, and the V+ pads connect on the top plane
Thanks, I'll see what happens with ratsnest

DLW

Zoom in. The pad will be labeled with the net it is connected to.

Aentons

Thanks! Both of these tips were exactly what I needed. Makes much more sense now