News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Acetone Fuzz Master fm-2

Started by Thewintersoldier, January 30, 2021, 03:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Magneto was right! I have now completed the holy trinity of super fuzzes, the super fuzz, the standard fuzz and now the fuzz master. It is clearly in the super fuzz camp but the octave is different and very searing above the 12th fret. It's funny how the circuit is like 90% the same yet feels and sounds noticably different, little changes make a difference. I used 2sc828r transistors instead of the 2n3904 in the build docs as the 828 are more in line with the originals trannies used. This required twisting of legs for the Japanese ecb pinout. I lifted the inspiration for the graphics from the helmet eqd used on their fuzz master general.
     Smallbear powder coated enclosure with no film waterslide. I prefer the tayda powder coat over the small bear for the no film. The glue spreads better on the tayda and therefore I get better adhesion. Also the smallbear powder coat comes off some when rubbing with alcohol to remove excess glue. Still got some pretty good results.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Jeeebus, you're killing it! Do you ever come up for air?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on January 30, 2021, 05:16:22 PM
Haha, it's like 3 hours of work here Jimi. Not like something big like a delay. I did this last night. Besides it's cold in Detroit right now.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 30, 2021, 05:28:30 PM
Quote from: jimilee on January 30, 2021, 05:16:22 PM
Haha, it's like 3 hours of work here Jimi. Not like something big like a delay. I did this last night. Besides it's cold in Detroit right now.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I was referring to you knocking them out one after the other. I can see though, with it being cold. I'm waiting on one more part myself, to complete a decent sized run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

Nice work Chris! Fuzz maniac! Have you ever plugged them all in series and really went for it? Just ear splitting octave fuzz on octave fuzz on octave fuzz, all of Detroit would get pregnant.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 30, 2021, 08:46:42 PM
Nice work Chris! Fuzz maniac! Have you ever plugged them all in series and really went for it? Just ear splitting octave fuzz on octave fuzz on octave fuzz, all of Detroit would get pregnant.
I don't think I could handle that kind of child support Dan  ::)
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 30, 2021, 08:50:23 PM
Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 30, 2021, 08:46:42 PM
I don't think I could handle that kind of child support Dan  ::)
Lol  ;D

Looks awesome, Chris!  You are going to pass 200 by spring.

cooder

Super sweet fuzzyness there....! Excellent again.

Weird that the Smallbear powder coat is sensitive to alcohol... thanks for the heads up, I still have some Smallbear powder coated boxes in the drawer, will watch out for that.
BigNoise Amplification

Bret608

Now that you've completed the triumvirate, I have to ask--is there one that you prefer out of the three? Love the Magneto theme!

Betty Wont

I prefer the FM-2 for its super quiets noise floor. The other two are noisy.

Drew Hallenbeck

Very tidy!
I really like how you insulated and twisted the transistor legs. I might not have even noticed it if you hadn't mentioned doing it.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bret608 on February 02, 2021, 02:51:08 PM
Now that you've completed the triumvirate, I have to ask--is there one that you prefer out of the three? Love the Magneto theme!
I agree with torgoslayer, the fm-2 is super quiet,  what I really like is that the octave doesn't really come out till you get above the 12th fret leaving the lower frets sounding like mostly fuzz. The others have the octave mixed all over the neck and it doesn't ever sound as clear as it does on the fm-2.

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on February 02, 2021, 06:00:42 PM
Very tidy!
I really like how you insulated and twisted the transistor legs. I might not have even noticed it if you hadn't mentioned doing it.
Thanks  Drew, I always try to make it look clean, even though it's just for me and I'm the only one who will probably ever see it.
Who the hell is Bucky?