News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Let's make suggestions on the next Giveaway

Started by madbean, February 09, 2021, 06:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie_rock123

I could be wrong but the Boss FA-1 seems like it could fit and isnt often cloned and has a nice tonestack. Couldnt find a 3volt (maestro? dizzytone?) fuzz at any regular PCB shop either.  Maybe a switchable Jawari/Bronx Cheer? Love both circuits and that way it's only one transformer. Maybe the Jen Modulator, that's kinda bitcrushy from some comments.

My vote would be for the mini wah with exp input if there was a workaround for the taper.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Thewintersoldier

I would like to see a fz-1a fuzz in a silicon version, could simulate leakage with resistors. Wouldn't mind it in a 1590g or 125b either, small box and big feet is a bad combo
Who the hell is Bucky?

madbean

I like the FA-1 idea a lot. I was also thinking maybe the ChunkChunk TMB tone stack with a FET pre-amp in front of it might me cool. The Boss may have a slight advantage being active cut/boost though.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 10, 2021, 03:55:45 AM
Color me boring but....

What about a JFET test rig? Something that could be used to match JFETs for a Phase AND.... for Idss, etc. Something slick and useful in Madbean fashion.

This way when the many questions about JFETs are posted, anyone can point to the project and say "Build this and ye shall find the way!"  ;D
I really like this idea. We all love fuzz and overdrives but maybe something like this would help other people discover other fx they like to build!

My other thought is maybe a stripped down version of the Cave Dweller. Maybe a fixed level and tone and just have the time and fdbk as pots.
-Mike-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stomptown

Quote from: flanagan0718 on February 13, 2021, 04:56:55 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 10, 2021, 03:55:45 AM
Color me boring but....

What about a JFET test rig? Something that could be used to match JFETs for a Phase AND.... for Idss, etc. Something slick and useful in Madbean fashion.

This way when the many questions about JFETs are posted, anyone can point to the project and say "Build this and ye shall find the way!"  ;D
I really like this idea. We all love fuzz and overdrives but maybe something like this would help other people discover other fx they like to build!

My other thought is maybe a stripped down version of the Cave Dweller. Maybe a fixed level and tone and just have the time and fdbk as pots.
-Mike-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd definitely love to see a 1590A delay back in the store!

madbean

So, I'm not against having a FET tester. I've had a board for it for ages and just never released it. But, not as a giveaway. Specifically b/c the Giveaways do need to generate some sales and frankly I think it's a better deal for customers to get a project I might release for $5-$9 instead of one I might charge 50 cents for. KnowwhatImean? But certainly, I can just run that JFET panel on the next go.

Anyway, here are two I worked up over the last week. I'm still looking at your guys suggestions so these are just in process. I'll work on some more of your suggestions next week.

The Fireaxe is the FA-1. I added one extra switch for soft clipping option similar to what I think the Retrosonic version does. The ChaosAgent is something I wanted to try - a FuzzFactory but designed for any NPN silicon transistors :) I checked it all out on the breadboard and it gets close to the real thing. Maybe not 100% but still fun to play around with. I did that one as a VFE style knob layout.

Aentons

I'm definitely down for a Fuzz Factory minus the ripping velcro emulation especially with that knob config... good choice

dawson

How about a single-channel Mysterioso?

I really like how "Setting 1" works and sounds but rarely have any use for "Setting 2."  Personally, the buffer doesn't get much use from me and I don't ever turn the tone control off, so I wouldn't miss those 2 toggle switches either.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

Feral Feline

I really dug Thomasha's Ultra-Flanger build, if it can fit in an LB, the 1590A should be a doddle.  ;D

I've seen the vero, it's not small. Or easy, I imagine...

Low parts count, 1590A:
MANGAVYBE — a MadBean improved version of the MagnaVibe
Japanese for Vibe: 雰囲気 Fun'iki (Manga Fun'iki マンガ 雰囲気) — I Google-translated them separately.

Translated together "Manga Vibe" came out as マンガバイブ — Mangabaibu.

madbean

Took delivery on 10 (or 11?) prototype boards last week and I am working my way through them. So far having good success.

The Chaos Agent (NPN Si Fuzz Factory) is perfect as designed. The Fireaxe (Boss FA-1) also worked out great. I ended up liking so much I decided to go a bit further. So, now it will include an output volume pot when using it as a low gain OD (it sounds super good).

dawson

Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

redkurn

just populated the board yesterday, for my first smd i managed to get it tacked on without my scope and finished it under the scope so it would be clean and secure.
filled the through hole so i wouldn't make a mistake later.

gordo

Good idea on filling the holes.  I can't tell you how many times I do a double take on either/or pads like this.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

redkurn

I've made the mistake on my second SB V3 board of putting a resistor on one side into the wrong through hole, so figured to keep myself from doing it twice...
Also forgot it was a SMD part when I finished. XD

madbean

Quote from: redkurn on May 21, 2021, 02:18:43 PM
just populated the board yesterday, for my first smd i managed to get it tacked on without my scope and finished it under the scope so it would be clean and secure.
filled the through hole so i wouldn't make a mistake later.

That is quality soldering! I need to get a good microscope myself. My glasses and magnifying light help a lot but damn my eyes are getting bad.