News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

my name is jon and i have a problem (NDKD)

Started by midwayfair, June 04, 2021, 07:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

So this happened over the holiday weekend and arrived today.

Sakae Trilogy. The kit's sort of a hybrid of 60s Ludwig/Yamaha/Gretch aspects, with super thin (and really light) maple shells.

Sakae made Yamaha's high-end drums since the 60s and were around since 1925. They went bankrupt last year, got bought by Korg, and their production is being moved to Taiwan. It's heartbreaking, honestly. I got probably the last 22/12/14 kit for sale anywhere and picked up a 10" that's arriving tomorrow from another shop. Tried my damnedest to find the matching snare, but the only ones for sale are on evilbay from Japan for $700+, which isn't happening. I might get one of the other other colors for that but I'm not in a hurry to buy it. I figured it was now or never to get something that's basically one of my dream instruments. And while the Natal I got last year sounds plenty good when I tune it up and records pretty decently, but it's a little too modern sounding to me. This has an older sound but I don't have to deal with all the problems of actually buying an old instrument.

I've got it all tuned up and it honestly sounds awesome, but one thing I didn't expect was for it to physically *feel* different. Like with the Natal the low frequencies weren't there and there was basically no shell resonance. These are the same size for the toms, but I can physically feel the sound in my legs when I'm playing, and I don't even have to be playing that hard.

Close-up of the finish. It's painted, not a wrap, and it looks seriously stunning in person.  [edit: I was wrong about this being a painted finish, this might be the only kit they've ever done that's a wrap]

jimilee

WowJon. That looks really nice. I didn't know you were that serious into drums. And the fact that you can play them, truly impressive. I bought a set a few years ago and discovered I can't play drums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Quote from: jimilee on June 04, 2021, 07:30:12 PM
WowJon. That looks really nice. I didn't know you were that serious into drums. And the fact that you can play them, truly impressive. I bought a set a few years ago and discovered I can't play drums.

Part of it's that our recording and practicing situation has gotten more complicated. The engineer I work with, quite justifiably, wants to be able to buy groceries, so he's getting part time work with a "real" job. These aren't only for me to play. The reason I got a kit originally was that our drummer was kind of bouncing around in apartments (he and his wife are separated but not getting divorced) so I wanted a kit set up at my house for him to play at practices and to record with in a pinch. Then I figured I should learn how to play them, and then I decided that I ought to get good enough to make demos so I practiced a lot, and then I decided that I wanted the option to have a kit that sounds like what we want on the recordings in case we can't get studio time with the person I prefer.

This is a lot of rationalization but it's not *just* rationalizing ...

jimilee

That's very kind of you to do that for the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Man, that's gorgeous! The 3D effect is awesome. It looks like it's is turning into a T-1000. 

jjjimi84

I am jealous, i miss having my Gretsch kit. These little kits are the best sounding and record so nicely.

Really cool of you and I cannot wait to hear it on some music.

gordo

I'm still all locked up on the last line "It's painted, not a wrap".  I have no idea how that's possible.

Anyway, great score and I'm looking forward to hearing them.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

midwayfair

Quote from: gordo on June 05, 2021, 06:47:05 AM
I'm still all locked up on the last line "It's painted, not a wrap".  I have no idea how that's possible.

Actually I looked again more closely and I was wrong about that! It looks like it's a really thin wrap, but some people had said that all their higher end shells were painted (and I am pretty sure all the kits they made for Yamaha were painted), so I had assumed that this kit must be. I'm looking at the bass drum hoops and if I run my finger along where the edge happens there is a really thin bump, like paper thin.

This is actually a good thing, I won't keep having a heart palpitation every time I bump one.

I've got a couple songs kicking around that never got a proper recording, I think I'll fire up the ole DAW pretty soon for one of those. I've got a pair of KM84 DIY kits on the way from a group buy over on GroupDIY, too!

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on June 04, 2021, 07:42:03 PM
Quote from: jimilee on June 04, 2021, 07:30:12 PM

Part of it's that our recording and practicing situation has gotten more complicated. The engineer I work with, quite justifiably, wants to be able to buy groceries, so he's getting part time work with a "real" job. These aren't only for me to play. The reason I got a kit originally was that our drummer was kind of bouncing around in apartments (he and his wife are separated but not getting divorced) so I wanted a kit set up at my house for him to play at practices and to record with in a pinch. Then I figured I should learn how to play them, and then I decided that I ought to get good enough to make demos so I practiced a lot, and then I decided that I wanted the option to have a kit that sounds like what we want on the recordings in case we can't get studio time with the person I prefer.

This is a lot of rationalization but it's not *just* rationalizing ...

Sounds more like you've got a solution than a problem.  ;-)

Congrats.  That looks like a great kit.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper