News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Known good Tele wiring diagram

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, February 12, 2021, 08:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

So.... I inherited a Fender Squire Affinity Telecaster that someone attempted to mod and failed. I'm thinking it won't be too much of a challenge ot get up and running BUT..

I have seen SEVERAL wiring diagrams online and they all seem to differ in small ways.

Can anyone point me to or provide me with a link to a known good wiring diagram to make sure all will turn out good?

TIA  ;D

jimilee

The sun out Duncan website had a lot. Fenders website a lot as well.
That's where I got mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: davent on February 12, 2021, 09:12:12 AM
What's the switch, 3, 4 or 5 way?

Haha. Dunno right now. The guy tried to make mods himself (replace pots, switch and pups) and gave up. He did include all the original hardware and electronics along with the post-mod attempt stuff. I haven't cracked it open yet. Just trying to get some 'up front' info before I delve into it.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jimilee on February 12, 2021, 09:01:50 AM
The sun out Duncan website had a lot. Fenders website a lot as well.
That's where I got mine.

Thanks Jimi. I saw a lot of those but, quite a lot of them differ in wiring, cap positions, switch positions, etc.

Was just hoping for a good recommendation where someone says "This one HERE is what I used and it worked fine."

matmosphere

There is a lot of good options. If you get a four way switch you can add an option for putting the pickups in series (the other three settings being neck only, bridge only and both in parallel). Sounds great to my ears, makes a tele the only guitar you need for most tones.

As far as a diagram, I've seen several different setups for tele switches so you kind of need to look at what you've got and go from there. I think some of those affinity ones had really cheap switches that don't work at all like normal tele switches. I've got one in a cheap guitar that has the connections on a PCB, which is odd.

jimilee

This is my go to. You can use a push pull pot in the place of the push push pot.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 12, 2021, 09:29:55 AM
There is a lot of good options. If you get a four way switch you can add an option for putting the pickups in series (the other three settings being neck only, bridge only and both in parallel). Sounds great to my ears, makes a tele the only guitar you need for most tones.

As far as a diagram, I've seen several different setups for tele switches so you kind of need to look at what you've got and go from there. I think some of those affinity ones had really cheap switches that don't work at all like normal tele switches. I've got one in a cheap guitar that has the connections on a PCB, which is odd.

Thanks for the input and advice Matt! When I get a chance to open it up and take a look, I will report back.

All I know is that the guy tried to mod the pots, switch, and pups (to Texas Specials) and couldn't get it to function correctly.

diablochris6

The Bill Lawrence 5-way switching Tele is one of my favorite setups. You get the standard Tele settings, a Strat-ish kind of sound, and a neck setting with some bass roll off to cut through in a band setting.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22967-mod-garage-the-bill-lawrence-5-way-telecaster-circuit

This is a post of my build with it, and there's a demo of it down the post.
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=27552.0
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Govmnt_Lacky

Back with some info...

I definitely see some areas where the previous attempt failed. Loose/missing grounds, bas connections between shielded pup holes, etc.

Looks like this one has a 4-way switch. Also put in CTS pots...

So... anyone recommend a good 4-way switch electrical diagram I can use? Something that is proven  ;D

diablochris6

I guess the question is, what kind of sounds do you want out of that fourth position (assuming you want standard Tele setup for the other three)?
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

gordo

FWIW I tried every setup I could find and ended up going back to the stock (Seymour Duncan) 3 way switch setup. Hate to say it but there's something perfect about standard ho-hum teles.

If you DO use the 4 way don't forget to isolate the neck pickup cover.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

davent

Quote from: gordo on February 12, 2021, 06:07:53 PM
FWIW I tried every setup I could find and ended up going back to the stock (Seymour Duncan) 3 way switch setup. Hate to say it but there's something perfect about standard ho-hum teles.

If you DO use the 4 way don't forget to isolate the neck pickup cover.

I have the 5way Bill Lawrence wiring on a two single coil guitar, not a Tele, and i pretty much stick to either or pickup, very vanilla tastes.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

The yellow wire goes to the neck pickup cover. You have to clip the cover ground from the pickup ground and ground it separately. This is the 4 way switch diagram I use. I have too many Teles I think. I stumbled on this article a while back and just bookmarked it.

alanp

This reminds me... I need to change the pickups in my good tele (not the cabronita, the other one.) It currently has a S/H setup with a PAF-alike in the neck.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website