News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cave Dweller 2 shopping list

Started by half_smith, February 22, 2021, 08:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

half_smith

Hello there pedal people! I've got a few kit builds under my belt, now getting a shopping list together to make my own pcb and enclosure. I'm oddly confident about the etching transfer part, but really out of my league when ordering the parts.

I went through the BOM and found the closest I could discern at a couple well known online stores. But I was basically just picking from the available parts by price. There are so many variations

I'd love to hear what people's favorites among the various brands and specs?
Can I post pngs of my shopping list (Mouse store and Ursa Minor) with exact item #s?

half_smith

*mods please delete if in violation

Here's the parts I sourced for the Cavedweller,
I'm unclear how to pick from the many options of say a "1k 2 Metal / Carbon Film 1/4W"
or "2n2 2 Film 25v min"
Is any 2n2 over 25v ok? 100v? 350v?

half_smith

This is the shopping list from the Cavedweller pdf

jimilee

Anything over 25v starts to get rather large in size, usually. 1/4 watt metal film or carbon resistors work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Check out aionfx.com.  He has a "where to buy what" section in the Resources tab.  That is what I used when I started.  You can dial in your preferences from there, once you get through a few builds.

Bio77

Quote from: Bio77 on February 24, 2021, 01:16:08 PM
Check out aionfx.com.  He has a "where to buy what" section in the Resources tab.  That is what I used when I started.  You can dial in your preferences from there, once you get through a few builds.
I just had a look at this. I would probably suggest Tayda for resistors, since Mouser now requires you buy in bulk.  Here's a link : https://aionfx.com/resources/parts-sourcing-where-to-buy-what/

half_smith

Quote from: Bio77 on February 24, 2021, 01:16:08 PM

Thank you! the resources there are exactly what I need.

madbean

Just to expound on the cap question:

- For electrolytic caps 25v rating covers 99% of all the existing mbp projects. 16v is fine in many cases. I think the one exception is the Total Recall which has one 35v electro. The rule of thumb is to use a cap rated at least 1.5 to 2 times your operating voltage. Since most guitar pedals are either 9v or 18v then 16v or 25v rated caps will work fine, resp. There are also many 50v rated electros that are the same size as 16v and 25v ones. Those are fine, too.

- For 1590A projects you should use low profile versions of electrolytic caps (these are either 5mm or 7mm tall, whereas standard electros are 11mm tall).

- For film, box caps tend to come in 50v, 63v and 100v. Those pretty much always fit in the space allotted. Once you get over 100v the caps starting getting bigger and may no fit. But, there is no reason to go over 100v unless you are building some kind of high voltage project.