News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Modding A Fuzz Face For Bass

Started by skypn, February 26, 2021, 07:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

I'm taking a shot at modding a FF for Bass. Here is the schematic I'm working off of:

I increased both input and output caps, and tied the E of Q1 to GRD via a 330 ohm, I'm guessing, to decrease the gain, insuring Q1 has less gain than Q2.
I have no idea what the 100pf strapped across both trans does, but to my ear it kinda mellows the harsh.
For the most part, I really dig the sound on the low E and A strings, no mud at all. The D and G, especially pass the 5th fret, is kinda harsh, getting worse as one goes up.
Is there a known mod for this?
TIA

Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

Feral Feline

What values did you increase the input/output caps to?

To mellow the harsh on the D&G you could try bumping the 100p cap(s) to 220p, but that may make it too dark on the lower registers. Anyway, that's where I'd experiment some more.

skypn

Feral Feline,
What values did I increase the input/output caps to?
The values of the posted schematic. The original values (as far as I know) were 2.2uf for input, and .01uf for the output.
I am going to try the 220pf caps now.

skypn

I first swapped both 100pf to 220pf. Liked the highs, the lows, not so much. Just for laughs, I replaced the 100pf at Q1. Man! Me likey. Just a *hint* of mud, but no harsh highs. Nice trade off.
Thank you Feral Feline.

Feral Feline

8)
Glad you found something you like.

Sorry, I thought the posted schematic was the original values. To be honest, I couldn't even read them with these old eyes.

skypn

No Problem. I wear cheaters myself 8)