News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Trident Fuzz

Started by Aleph Null, March 01, 2021, 05:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

This circuit was born out of experiments with Tim Escobedo's Triple Fuzz. The heart of that circuit is the non-selective octave tripler (the transistor array shown below). The octave tripler remains mostly intact, but everything around it has changed.

The first opamp stage sets the gain. The 100pF capacitor shaves off just enough high end to keep the hiss down at high gain settings. The transistors form the non-selective octave tripler. This stage creates false harmonics, but doesn't actually distort the signal. Orange diodes to ground do actually distort the signal. The second opamp stage is an active high shelf filter centered at 723Hz with 13dB boost and cut.

With the gain set below 9 o'clock a subtle sub octave is present and the signal is mostly clean. Between 9 and noon, the false harmonics become increasingly present and the sub octave disappears, but the clean signal is still audible. Above noon, the LEDs start to clip and the signal becomes increasingly saturated. There's a very percussive, klangy attack throughout. This is the only fuzz that I've encountered that sounds good at low fuzz settings.

Here's my vero layout in case any one else wants to play with this. It's probably not the most efficient layout, but I had to constrain the width to get it to fit in a 1590A.

jimilee

That looks really great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

Very cool! Thank you for the layout, going to check this one out.