Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Curious Lovetone "snake oil"

Started by LaceSensor, March 09, 2021, 07:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Randomly got served this as a suggestion on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294054589339?ViewItem=&item=294054589339

Anyone know what fuckery this dude is trying to schill here?
A quad and a dual opamp for £15??

Answers on a postcard. Yes I have written the same to the seller, almost verbatim...

Betty Wont

He dared to insult my "pussy cat" pedal!!!!

culturejam

Maybe they are rail-to-rail. I mean, that's not a price justification, but it might explain the grand claims in the copy.

I think a lot of people might think 15 pounds is cheaper/faster than learning enough to figure out which ICs to buy to get the same outcome.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

LaceSensor

he was NOT happy with me calling him out

not sure why just dont like him associating me with this
its not in the spirit of DIY

LaceSensor

Quote from: culturejam on March 09, 2021, 07:40:45 PM
Maybe they are rail-to-rail. I mean, that's not a price justification, but it might explain the grand claims in the copy.

I think a lot of people might think 15 pounds is cheaper/faster than learning enough to figure out which ICs to buy to get the same outcome.
What real difference would rail to rail op amps make here though?

culturejam

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 09, 2021, 08:31:47 PM

Uhhhh...it makes the whooshes go *further* ??  ;D

thesmokingman

I clearly overpaid for matched germanium transistors today so this was some much needed salve for the soul
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

LaceSensor

Quote from: culturejam on March 09, 2021, 10:11:41 PM
Quote from: LaceSensor on March 09, 2021, 08:31:47 PM

Uhhhh...it makes the whooshes go *further* ??  ;D

fair wnough

Any recommendations for rail to rail replacements for TL072 and TL074?
I wouldnt mind checing this out, recommending in my build guide, and ruining this scalpers market :)

EBK

You could almost read the writing on the chips in the ebay posting.  A new one went up that more successfully blurs it now.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

It's the same story as with magic capacitors in amplifiers. If you want to change the tone or performance, change the actual values of components in the damn circuit. The only reason an amp's 'sound' will change with cap swaps is due to tolerances and the fact that, as caps age, their values change even more.

With this, however, I don't think a single thing will change, other than the seller being that much richer, and the buyer being that much poorer (and, hopefully, a bit wiser in future.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 10, 2021, 01:59:29 PM
Any recommendations for rail to rail replacements for TL072 and TL074?
I wouldnt mind checing this out, recommending in my build guide, and ruining this scalpers market :)

I'm not at all convinced it's going to make a dramatic difference. I was sort of being silly, although in theory a rail-to-rail op amp would be able to swing higher and lower (for an LFO or a filter or whatever).

The only ones I've used (that I can recall) are TLC2272 and TLC2274. And probably the 62/64 variants that are supposed to be a little bit lower noise.

LaceSensor

Quote from: EBK on March 10, 2021, 02:06:18 PM
You could almost read the writing on the chips in the ebay posting.  A new one went up that more successfully blurs it now.

nah you could only read the top line which is normally the manufacturing code or whatever
the actual product ID was crudely obscured.

im calling BS on this guy.

does anyone else think I should ask him to not associate my PCB with it?

LaceSensor

this was the original image used

Bio77

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 10, 2021, 10:22:05 PM
does anyone else think I should ask him to not associate my PCB with it?
I found an online source selling bootleg copies of my album once.  I was pissed and asked them to stop, but later on I was kind of honored  ;D.  Maybe it ends up being free marketing for you. 

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber