News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE Triumvirate SB_V3

Started by redkurn, March 11, 2021, 02:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkurn

This thing is awesome!
It's even more than I expected and it was fun to build... Haven't messed with the trimmers other than setting them to middle.

Interesting question to add, the LED next to the 3mm screen print lights up, the other I didn't notice and the really interesting question SND, RTN are they functional and can they be used?

v

Aentons

Very nice.

The leds are clipping off the peaks and troughs of you guitar signal as it come thru which causes distortion. The light you see is the discarded voltage from your signal

Connecting the SND & RTN looks like it would provide an additional clean path  from the PRE to the output mix point. So it would be a clean blend if you connected a volume control between those points

redkurn

Quote from: Aentons on March 11, 2021, 02:47:27 PM
Very nice.

The leds are clipping off the peaks and troughs of you guitar signal as it come thru which causes distortion. The light you see is the discarded voltage from your signal

Connecting the SND & RTN looks like it would provide an additional clean path  from the PRE to the output mix point. So it would be a clean blend if you connected a volume control between those points

Interesting, I didn't mess with it while testing a lot to see when it happend, but that's cool.
So it would work the same as my amp basically?
I'd imagine you would extend ground from the other jacks and then it could be used or is this a different kind of send return? I'm still kind of new to this stuff.

Aentons

Quote from: redkurn on March 11, 2021, 05:09:49 PM
Very nice.

Interesting, I didn't mess with it while testing a lot to see when it happend, but that's cool.
I'd imagine you would extend ground from the other jacks and then it could be used or is this a different kind of send return? I'm still kind of new to this stuff.
I haven't actually tested it, so, If.. it actual does what I suggested, it would not be in series like most amp effects loops. It would be a parallel signal which would split your clean signal, and then mix back in later on with the distorted signal.

redkurn

Quote from: Aentons on March 11, 2021, 05:18:18 PM
Quote from: redkurn on March 11, 2021, 05:09:49 PM
Very nice.

I haven't actually tested it, so, If.. it actual does what I suggested, it would not be in series like most amp effects loops. It would be a parallel signal which would split your clean signal, and then mix back in later on with the distorted signal.
So it could potentially fatten up the sound?

Aentons

http://vfepedals.com/triumvirate.html

Head over to the VFE website to learn about the circuit. Click on different parts of the block diagram and the actual pedal image for lots of good info.

This thing is essentially a giant, super tweakable, 3 band EQ. EQ consists of different ways of using a "filter". Learning about filters is a cornerstone of audio signal processing. My suggestion is to learn about how to make a HPF "High Pass Filter" and a LPF "Low Pass Filter" usig a RC "Resistor/Capacitor" circuit. From their I'd move on to learning about the differences in "Series" and "Parallel" signal chains.

Sorry, I know that's a non-answer.

redkurn

Quote from: Aentons on March 12, 2021, 06:34:33 AM
http://vfepedals.com/triumvirate.html

Head over to the VFE website to learn about the circuit. Click on different parts of the block diagram and the actual pedal image for lots of good info.

This thing is essentially a giant, super tweakable, 3 band EQ. EQ consists of different ways of using a "filter". Learning about filters is a cornerstone of audio signal processing. My suggestion is to learn about how to make a HPF "High Pass Filter" and a LPF "Low Pass Filter" usig a RC "Resistor/Capacitor" circuit. From their I'd move on to learning about the differences in "Series" and "Parallel" signal chains.

Sorry, I know that's a non-answer.

It was a good answer actually, gives me places to research and new things to learn.

Took the pedal over to my friends and he spent a good 45 minutes playing while i tweaked the knobs, he's more a rack guy and thought this pedal was killer, better even.
It definitely has a massive range for tones, we stumbled across a really nice 70's fuzz and a blues sounding tone within a few minutes.