News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

WIGL'N COWGIRL

Started by Feral Feline, March 12, 2021, 01:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feral Feline

I found this blem-box 1590B online for ultra-cheap pre-drilled and already dolled up, so I thought to put a perf Magnatone in it. However I found that the Wigl board I had gathering dust had pot spacing identical to the blemished enclosure's gap. Build went fairly well after that, apart from I still don't have adequate LDRs.

Build in brief:

Top-mounted jacks, of course! Real Cowgirls don't ride side-saddle.

Rate LED doubles as bypass indicator.

Socketed: in/out & couplers; LDRs & LED — so I can play around with trying to bassify it; and different LDRs/LEDs.
   Output cap changed from electrolytic to film (2µ2).

LEDs for voltage biasing were both painted and then mounted underneath board to prevent light leakage to LDRs, and gave more room for top-jacks.

W-taper 3266 bourns trim pot for LFO's LED (#3) 12-turn screw for better dialling in the sweet-spot vs spec'd single-turn (240º) 3362p bourns.

LED for driving photocells: red (650nm) square-body, socketed to try yellow (570nm), pink (?nm), green (510nm).

LDRs: KE-10720 from Tayda. All I had, as mentioned socketed — will try stock spec and others when I can get 'm;
The dark resistance on the KE's is 0.5M, but the build doc calls for 20M. It sounded good when briefly testing it, even when LDRs were exposed to the room-lights on — so I'm sure it'll sound great with the proper 9203s.

DRILLING
The monster-LED for rate and bypass fit in the pre-drilled hole like it was meant to be there, just as the Wigl's pot-spacing was fated. I then hand-drilled out the stock LED hole for the 3PDT and hand-drilled top-jacks and power. I had to remove the lip of the lid over the jacks for clearance.

Long-winded build report is over at TB:
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/any-diy-pedal-builders-on-tb-strut-your-stuff.1469191/page-26#post-25060390

Thanks for having a Butcher's at my build.

Cheers,
FF

EBK

That LED sure is a monster.  I dig the spiky graphics around the knobs.

Did you photograph her with a ring light?

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Feral Feline

I used my LED-Ring-Magnifying-Glass-Combo-Lamp, what I use for building pedals with phone-camera. Those 1/8w resistors and the diodes are very demanding on tired old eyes, so I need all the help I can get when building and the lamp and magnifier help tremendously.

The box was originally slated in life to be a controller of some sort, but I guess a batch of 'em didn't pass paint inspection.

It was tempting to put the bias LEDs where the two white dots by the spikes are, but in the end I figured the one LED is more than enough already.

Normally I have my own specific ideas for graphics and a pedal-name, knob-placement etc, but this Cowgirl came along and took me for a ride.

dawson

What a fortuitous match- great work!
..Now to find somebody to buy all of MY "pre-drilled," and "pre-decorated" enclosures.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.