News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

#VFEFRIDAY Woodchipper

Started by jjjimi84, March 12, 2021, 07:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

It wouldn't be a glorious Friday without another VFE pedal build. This board came courtesy of swirl effects, the re-creator of the mega pedal. I haven't seen him around these parts in a while but he had a bunch extra boards a while back that I grabbed up, the woodchipper was one of them.

This is VFEs take on the Meastro Brassmaster and is one helluva ugly octave fuzz pedal. I will be making a demo for this one when I get sometime because there are all kinds of interesting sounds in it. Maybe it is the 18 dollar transformer in it.....

Also continuing in the Mario Koopalings theme here is my significant others favorite Koopa, Lemmy.

jimilee

That looks fantastic man, another good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

There's a transformer hiding in there?

Thewintersoldier

Nice one Dan, love me some octave fuzz. Is that expensive transformer the red and black box in the upper left hand corner? I've never heard of this vfe pedal before. Can't wait to see the demo. The painting is perfect too!
Who the hell is Bucky?

alanp

Nice, and I'm diggin' the gonzo red and black thing. All your VFE builds are so nice... although, if you hadn't told me that the graphics were from a Nintendo game, then I would have guessed that they were from those old Sour Patch lollies!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jjjimi84

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 12, 2021, 10:41:00 PM
Nice one Dan, love me some octave fuzz. Is that expensive transformer the red and black box in the upper left hand corner? I've never heard of this vfe pedal before. Can't wait to see the demo. The painting is perfect too!

Quote from: harryklippton on March 12, 2021, 09:16:23 PM
There's a transformer hiding in there?

Yep in the third picture in the upper left. It is a military spec transformer, running at about 18 dollars off of Mouser.

Quote from: alanp on March 12, 2021, 10:52:51 PM
Nice, and I'm diggin' the gonzo red and black thing. All your VFE builds are so nice... although, if you hadn't told me that the graphics were from a Nintendo game, then I would have guessed that they were from those old Sour Patch lollies!

mmm sour patch lollies...... I love VFE pedals, they are a tweakers delight.

gordo

Perfect!!  I finally sighted the woodpecker that's been hanging around the neighborhood this winter.  Was worried about the little bugger when the crappy weather hit but sighted him and my wife corrected me.  He's a red-headed flicker.  Not a woodpecker.  The difference is a 1590A vs a 1590BB.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

Looks great!  You gave me the FOMO on this one too, but it's not available, so, it worked out  ;D

jjjimi84

Quote from: gordo on March 12, 2021, 11:30:33 PM
Perfect!!  I finally sighted the woodpecker that's been hanging around the neighborhood this winter.  Was worried about the little bugger when the crappy weather hit but sighted him and my wife corrected me.  He's a red-headed flicker.  Not a woodpecker.  The difference is a 1590A vs a 1590BB.

I had a woodpecker at my old house, caused so much damage. Little bastards are vicious.

Quote from: Bio77 on March 13, 2021, 04:29:31 AM
Looks great!  You gave me the FOMO on this one too, but it's not available, so, it worked out  ;D

I had to look up FOMO on the interwebz, feel old as hell. It is a cool octave fuzz if you can get your mitts on one.

Netnnk

I also got a board from swirl effects way back. This is one of the few fuzzes I've built  that made me think "This is too much fuzz!"  It's extreme, yet the mods also give you more control over the clean mix.

I used a larger enclosure, so I was able to get away with a cheaper transformer that you'd normally use on a Brassmaster.

oeslicoalfin

Reminds me of Fargo.
As always, your execution is superb.
You and Midwayfair have the best original painted artwork.
Looking forward to the video demo when you have time. Enjoyed the Trinity amp series. Definitely have my eye on their Ampeg clone now. Thanks for pointing out a new vice source.
Cheers!

jjjimi84

Quote from: oeslicoalfin on March 15, 2021, 03:11:38 AM
Reminds me of Fargo.
As always, your execution is superb.
You and Midwayfair have the best original painted artwork.
Looking forward to the video demo when you have time. Enjoyed the Trinity amp series. Definitely have my eye on their Ampeg clone now. Thanks for pointing out a new vice source.
Cheers!

Thank you very much and thank you for watching. I am going to spend all day Thursday filming VFE demos and hopefully start releasing them the following week.

That B15 amp looks so fine, one day I might be able to shoe horn it into my studio.

benny_profane

The whole VFE Friday series has been great, and this is no exception! So clean for such a mean sounding circuit.

jjjimi84

Quote from: benny_profane on March 16, 2021, 03:34:43 AM
The whole VFE Friday series has been great, and this is no exception! So clean for such a mean sounding circuit.

Thank you so much, I am glad you like it. I have enough to go until mid June possibly July, the SPS yodeler is built but has a slight issue and needs to be painted and I picked up 4 other SPS boards that are awaiting to be built.