News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE Mobius Strip

Started by Bio77, March 29, 2021, 01:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

This will be the first of a few builds that Dan sold me on with his VFE Friday series  ;D

This is the tightest of all the VFE build I've done.  It takes a lot of planning to get everything together without too much melting of parts.  I had to solder in one pin of each pot, then take it apart and solder them from the back.  Also, I had to notch out the lid to make space for the electros on the side, but I got it all crammed in there  ;D

Soudwise, I was hoping to be able to get rhythmic delays, like from the Sagan.  However, it's tricky to set the times just right.  I think this one is it's own thing. I'm looking forward to messing around with it some more.

Enclosure is no-film on a Tayda powder coat.  I used some fancy Small Bear knobs including the 9mm slide on covers for the plastic shaft pots.

harryklippton

Yeah that looks excellent! I bought a board for this recently but maybe I need to work up to it after your build report!

jimilee

As yeah, very nice. Time to stock up on small electros. I built a couple of these, one for me and one for a friend. You can get that rhythmic delay going, like you said, you just gotta tweak it. Nice job squeezing that in there, especially the DC input. I hate the side ones, but haven't quite been brave enough to try it on the VFEs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

Stunning work and I love that graphic! Dialing in a rhythmic delay sound is not the easiest to do, if you start with delay 2 and get that sound right then you can add delay 1 to start getting rhythmic sounds. I am putting out a video on Wednesday for this very pedal talking about and showing off some tones.

Bio77

Thanks guys.

Quote from: harryklippton on March 29, 2021, 01:12:21 PM
Yeah that looks excellent! I bought a board for this recently but maybe I need to work up to it after your build report!
I think this one might be happier in a 125B.  Also, I usually mount the pots in the box and then solder the board in. That's not the way to do this one. 

Quote from: jimilee on March 29, 2021, 01:26:04 PM
As yeah, very nice. Time to stock up on small electros. I built a couple of these, one for me and one for a friend. You can get that rhythmic delay going, like you said, you just gotta tweak it. Nice job squeezing that in there, especially the DC input. I hate the side ones, but haven't quite been brave enough to try it on the VFEs.

I've got the small electros, it just didn't dawn on me that they were going to be under the lip on the enclosure lid.  The DC input is as low as I can get it, also not easy to screw in, but I also am annoyed by the side DCs.

Quote from: jjjimi84 on March 29, 2021, 02:04:56 PM
Stunning work and I love that graphic! Dialing in a rhythmic delay sound is not the easiest to do, if you start with delay 2 and get that sound right then you can add delay 1 to start getting rhythmic sounds. I am putting out a video on Wednesday for this very pedal talking about and showing off some tones.
I'll keep an eye out.   8)

harryklippton

Oh crap I didn't realize you squeezed that into a 1590b. Extra nice job

Thewintersoldier

Really impressive work again John. To get all that in a 1590b like that is a feat. And you know I have tried numerus delay pedals with tap and multiple delay lines but I find it so hard to use them. I think it's easier to use a simple delay and to turn the time knob to get the rhythm I want. And that graphic is killer!
Who the hell is Bucky?

dawson

Quote from: harryklippton on March 29, 2021, 04:15:23 PM
Oh crap I didn't realize you squeezed that into a 1590b. Extra nice job

Dude, whoah!

I stared at those pictures for awhile but didn't realize that until I read this comment...whoah, Dude.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jimilee

They for rather nicely in a 1590b enclosure. I've used one for all of mine so far. If you follow the the drill template, you won't have any issues. On smaller layouts, I've gotten into the habit of laying my electros on their side or using smaller ones.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

Quote from: jimilee on March 30, 2021, 06:16:58 AM
They for rather nicely in a 1590b enclosure. I've used one for all of mine so far. If you follow the the drill template, you won't have any issues. On smaller layouts, I've gotten into the habit of laying my electros on their side or using smaller ones.

Did you do a springboard or yodeler in a 1590b?

jimilee

Haven't built that one. Almost sounds like a challenge though.

jjjimi84

Quote from: jimilee on March 30, 2021, 06:53:39 AM

I chickened out and went with a 125b, gorilla hands and tiny enclosures do not mix well.

jimilee

Quote from: jjjimi84 on March 30, 2021, 08:34:43 AM
Quote from: jimilee on March 30, 2021, 06:53:39 AM

I chickened out and went with a 125b, gorilla hands and tiny enclosures do not mix well.
True

Bio77

Yep, all of the VFEs were designed for 1590Bs with a battery!  125B with side mounted jacks would be easier.  I've put a few in 125Bs with top mount jacks, but that takes some planing and doesn't work with all the layouts.

Quote from: jjjimi84 on March 30, 2021, 06:53:15 AM

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a Yodeler.

jimilee

Quote from: Bio77 on March 30, 2021, 09:58:32 AM
Yep, all of the VFEs were designed for 1590Bs with a battery!  125B with side mounted jacks would be easier.  I've put a few in 125Bs with top mount jacks, but that takes some planing and doesn't work with all the layouts.

Quote from: jjjimi84 on March 30, 2021, 06:53:15 AM

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a Yodeler.
That does look pretty badass. I wonder what osh park would charge to have some made.