News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hole Standards for MBP PCBs

Started by HalfLife, March 29, 2021, 09:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HalfLife

Hello,
I am soon starting on my first MBP builds, had a question about using pre-drilled enclosures.
-Do the MBP PCBs follow a standardized location for holes, like the VFE or PedalPCB 'Types'

If not- any advice for drilling?
I want to use Tayda powder coated boxes, but I have heard about chipping problems with the coating while drilling. Tayda (and others) offer pre-drilled coated boxes, but only in standardized knob/jack locations.

Thanks.

vizcities

If it helps, I've used a drill press on about six painted Tayda cases & had zero chipping issues.

Also: based on experience, my sense is that Bean's projects don't adhere to any VFE-esque hole standards. However, most build docs include drill templates, so you could probably recreate those dimensions in Tayda's pre-drilling tool/software.

redkurn

I've used two tayda boxes, no chipping here and I started with 1/8" bit for the larger holes and a stepper bit to finish.

When I was looking around for boxes I didn't see many that would fit with a standard, I think they are all tailored to the PCB.

matmosphere

I've never had chipping problems with those either. Maybe their older powder coated stuff from several years ago, but the new stuff is much better. Not the absolute best, but it is good for personal builds.

Just print out the drill guides Brian puts in the BOM with no scaling. what I do is, first make sure it is sized correctly, then I fold it to shape around the enclosure, and cover everything in clear packing tape (so it doesn't tear apart while I drill).

OR, I use a t-square and do some fancy measuring.

jimilee

The drill templates are in each PDF. There isn't one standard layout he uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

HalfLife

Great!
I will just use the MBP templates included in the builds.
I will see if my old drill press is working, and cross my fingers.

Thanks to all!

davent

As long as you have good quality, sharp drill bits, center punch and start with a small pilot hole, i start at 1/16", drill press or hand drill you should have zero problems.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?