News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Choral Reef - Switching board no bypass for off effect (solved)

Started by MojoRisin, April 29, 2021, 07:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoRisin

Hello,

I just managed to finish my choral Reef build, everhything went ok, even tho I was quite sloppy.

I've got the chorus chorusing, and the latching/momentary Switch doing it's job.

But and this is the most surprising, when I turn off the effect, I don't have volume at all, except a bit wet gated distorted signal.

Any idea on where's the problem ?

Not usual so I'm quite lost ATM.

jjjimi84

It is probably something small and simple like a solder bridge or something but it is hard to tell without pictures.

MojoRisin

I've triple checked everywiring and reflowed.

Since it's my first Relay bypass I'm quite out of my confort zone.

I do assume it's the Switching board, since with mix out I got a perfect clean signal.

What bother, is that the hardest operational part works, not the simple one.

There's no wiring problem regarding the hardest part.

If I understand well, the state change implied by the relay is by definition, effect or straight true bypass, from J1 to J2.

I've used stereo jack, and I don't think it has influence, could a faulty Relay do this ?

jimilee

We could guess, but without pictures, we would be chasing our tails so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

MojoRisin

Here's the Switchoard :

It's quite sloppy, but it works since I'm able to do the whole Switching operation, even latching mode.

And the chorus sounding is really great !

I juste get no signal going through when in bypass.

I also used standard electrolytics instead of bipolar duebti avaibility.

Aentons

It doesn't look that sloppy to me. The only thing I see to verify is that d1 and 2 aren't touching

MojoRisin

D1/D2 are well separated, they're not touching the pictures can lead to this impression tho.

I can only suspect relay not doing it's job the way it should.

jimilee

Just about all of your solder joints can use more solder. It should flow through the board and cover the pad. Reflow all of your solder joints and see where you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

MojoRisin

I rewired and reflowed, and stuck at the same point.

Pin7 of the MC delivers 3v in bypass mode instead of 5.

jimilee

Quote from: MojoRisin on May 01, 2021, 09:18:16 PM

Is C6 backward? Negative should go toward the effect PCB according to the BOM.

Aentons

Quote from: jimilee on May 02, 2021, 08:23:43 AM
Quote from: MojoRisin on May 01, 2021, 09:18:16 PM

Is C6 backward? Negative should go toward the effect PCB according to the BOM.
C6 is in correctly. There's a note in the build doc about the CR being an exception

MojoRisin

And what's bottering me the most is the fact that there's nothing that should interfere between J1 and J2.

If, the relay does it's job, it's straight from J1 to J2, which is a signal path that's works, since I got signal from J1 to J2 with the effect, which implied both and a wet.

I can't even audioprobe, because pluging the effect is already audio probing.

I'm kinda stuck at that point, and almost sure it's a component problem, but which one ?

Aentons

Sounds like the relay may be bad. Can you hear it click when you switch? Where'd you get it from?

Edit: I didn't see the 3v comment. It could also be the LP2950 is bad. Are you getting 5v on pin1 of the PIC

Edit2: you may also want to try reseating the PIC. Sockets aren't always perfect

MojoRisin

Pin1 receive 3volts, I'm gonna change the reg for a 78l05 and see.

MojoRisin

I swapped the reg for a 7805 and it now works !

I've never heard the relay tick before it was not helping, but the MCU not receiving a proper 5 volt prevent it from fully doing it's job on the relay.