News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rat board suggestions please

Started by Guybrush, April 10, 2021, 08:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feral Feline

Hey Guybrush,

I built my Filigree Siberian Hamster in a 1590A using a BYOC boardand included two mod switches.

I included a SPDT on-off-on for clipping and a DPDT for more bass:
LEFT: Clipping Switch SPDT on-off-on
> UP: Stock 1N914
> CENTRE: Turbo red LEDs (socketed so can try op-amp clipping or mix'n'match colours)
> DOWN: Fat Rat BS170/BAT41​

RIGHT: Tranter Fat Mod Switch #2 (Retains Rat tone while retaining some bass!) DPDT on-off-on — I prefer this to the Reutz mod.
> UP: Bass
> CENTRE: Stock
> DOWN: BASS-BASS​

As Benny_Profane suggested...
So with the LEDs socketed in the middle position, I can physically pull them to get just op-amp clipping, but I like that I've got Stock Rat, Turbo Rat and Fat Rat clipping options all available.

As JKokura noted...
The LEDs is significantly louder than the other two options; I found I had to dial in each of the three separately. Though tuning between Stock and Fat was minimal, the LEDs make such a huge difference — LOUD!

On a gig, I'm not switching between the diodes, so it's set and forget for the gig; but it would be nice to add some resistance to the LEDs to bring the Turbo mode closer to the Fat and Stock — just got to make sure the forward voltage of the LEDs remains higher than the other two options, even if only by a smidge.

It was a LOT of measuring and fiddling and it was time-consuming but it was all worth it in the end. I used a BYOC L'il Mouse 'cause I already had the board, I know Moody Sounds carries BYOC: https://moodysounds.com/en/lil-mouse-kit/

Hope that helps, good luck with the multi!

Guybrush

Thanks so much for all that info. It's really helpful and I'll definitely be trying at least some of it out.

Cheers!