News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hey, a new store is coming! Give your input.

Started by madbean, April 11, 2021, 01:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I'm finally spending the proper time to work up the new online store and bring mbp into the mid-2010's. While I'm developing I'd like to get some opinions and suggestions on features you would like to see. After this upcoming projects release in a few days I'll be working on this full-time with the hopes of launching either end of May or early June.

Things that are already happening:
- "Modern" store with proper user account, checkout, order history, etc. For example, if you've visited Aion, PedalPCB, THCustom, etc all that type of usability and functionality will be included in the new mbp store. IOW, like almost every other e-commerce site has done except me.
- Updating older project docs into the current format.
- Getting some better and format consistent pics of items in the store.
- Adding some new categories like parts/components (this is more long term).
- Proper notifications of rec'd orders (something that has been critically lacking with the current setup).
- More personalized emails for shipping notification, etc.

Things that could be added:
- I could expand beyond accepting Paypal into regular CC payments, if that's something people want.
- There could be some social media type integration like customer profiles, etc. for anyone who might enjoy that.
- (Infrequent) newsletters to announce releases or milestones via email, etc.

Mostly I'm after things I haven't thought of. I want to keep the overall feel very easy to navigate without some of the overwhelming info dumps you get on a lot of WordPress based websites. I think PedalPCB is the perfect example of ease of navigation, although I definitely will go a bit further with content.

PapaKev

This is great news! I'd say you were on the right track if you like the pedalpcb layout.

harryklippton

I'd like the option to not have to make an account or sign in. I don't ever want to make another account or password ever again, or log into anything ever.

One thing I like about the current store is that it doesn't require clicking through to see what stuff is. It's all there on the list.

alanp

Agree with Harry. Yet another username/password is... not something I'd be keen on.

Would it be possible to integrate the forum with the shop, so that forum accounts can be used on the shop, rather than creating a separate account?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

You will be able to use the store without creating an account so no problem there. Accounts are just for those who want them. I agree...some stores I shop at I keep accounts on but others I don't.

I won't be able to integrate forum membership into the store AFAIK.

madbean

Quote from: harryklippton on April 11, 2021, 03:17:15 AM
One thing I like about the current store is that it doesn't require clicking through to see what stuff is. It's all there on the list.

This is something I want to retain. Have a complete list like the current store with add to cart and doc d/l, but able to click on an individual project for additional info/content. Like the previous version of the AionFX store.

matmosphere

Yeah, I was going to mention that the simplicity of the current ordering page is very nice, maybe update the style and just clean it up a little. moving the side bar (with the shipping and whatnot) to the bottom of the page, or adding a subpage with shipping info, would make it more mobile browser friendly, but I get why it is where it is.

Adding another layer of functionality under it, like individual pages for each category or effect would be nice. I definitely think you should keep the difficulty levels and maybe even add an option to sort by difficulty might be cool for people starting off.

One of the things I really like about the shop is that you let your personality and sense of humor be part of it. I laugh at stuff in the build docs all the time, so keeping stuff like that in the mix would be fun.

harryklippton

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 11, 2021, 07:01:46 PM
One of the things I really like about the shop is that you let your personality and sense of humor be part of it. I laugh at stuff in the build docs all the time, so keeping stuff like that in the mix would be fun.

Agree with this too. That's part of what brought me here in the first place.

zombie_rock123

I don't know if it'd be hard to implement but some kind of "dang I missed out on X board" function might be cool. I know a fair few folks post asking for discontinued boards so if you had 10/20/400 people saying they'd be all over a certain discontinued PCB it could be cool. Kinda like taydas stock notification alert. That is provided it's something you'd be okay with doing I mean!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

vizcities

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on April 11, 2021, 10:36:56 PM
I don't know if it'd be hard to implement but some kind of "dang I missed out on X board" function might be cool. I know a fair few folks post asking for discontinued boards so if you had 10/20/400 people saying they'd be all over a certain discontinued PCB it could be cool. Kinda like taydas stock notification alert. That is provided it's something you'd be okay with doing I mean!

+1

madbean

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on April 11, 2021, 10:36:56 PM

I might be able to do a "special order" section, I think. Someone requests an item, but not be charged for it unless and until I can get some made. Or, I could do a rotation of special offers, like a small batch of discontinued boards available for a time.

I'll have to give some thought as to how best to make that work. I'm not kidding when I say I am already almost out of physical space to store things, haha.

jimilee

I don't like when I click to buy something, it opens another tab. I like the little box that comes up on some pages, or if it would just add it to my cart, I can click on my cart when I'm done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

I'd like to see a somewhat hidden link to a super secret section of the store where we can buy things like scrapped prototypes and boards with errors and anything else sold as-is, no warranty.  You know, save the planet, one man's junk is another man's treasure, etc.  ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

I've never had any issues with the current setup, although, yes there are more elegant ways of taking peoples money :-)

I pays my money, I gets my boards.  Quickly.

I've also been hanging around this place for so long that it's second nature.  I do like the idea of getting a groundswell of folks looking for old projects to get fired up again.  I'm not sure what kind of quantities make it worth your while as an order.  There would have to be a level of commitment from the buyer's side as well.  Bugg gets around it with a waiting list via email, which usually lets you know ahead of it being posted to the website, but it's usually new products that are put out there as the dangling carrot.

I also like the idea of a few parts, and even then likely just project specific ones.  I don't imagine you can get around the sheer buying power of SB and LMS and their ilk nor would you want to dump that kind of investment in inventory.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Muadzin

Quote from: harryklippton on April 11, 2021, 03:17:15 AM

Oh, total agreement on that. I effin' HATE webstores that make you click through endless pages. EVERYTHING ON ONE PAGE, DAMMIT!