News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Loose Bass Tuning Lug

Started by das234, April 15, 2021, 01:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

I don't know if this is the right place for this question so feel free to move it if necessary.  My P-Bass has a rattling tuner.  The big flat lug (the piece that you turn) is loose in the little fork piece so it rattles.  I was wondering if anyone has a trick to make it stop.  I tried to run some solder around it but my iron is too small to heat that big hunk of metal enough and I don't really want to torch it.  Here's the style of tuner for reference:

jimilee

If you can't tighten the middle screw, just replace it, they're not that expensive. Look at guitar fetish or reverb. You may be able to snag a deal on the bay. You may even have a music store that sells singles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

A wild stab, wick in some superglue and hit it with accelerator...

Is it a press fit in the fork, can the forks be made tighter around the key?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Not usually, they just wear out. I'm just gonna say it, it reams out the hole after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

das234

Quote from: davent on April 15, 2021, 01:56:49 AM

dave

I did try to squeeze the fork together to tighten it but that did nothing.  Any favorite brand of chemicals to glue it?

EBK

Same thing happened to me once.  I can't remember if it was JB Weld or super glue that fixed it, but clamping it while the glue cured was essential.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

I had that happen once on an old epiphone bass, I put a rubber band between two of the tuning keys to keep the one from shaking. It did not fix the problem, but it stopped the rattling, had no negative affect on my tone, and only took a second. That was probably 15 years ago, I think I've changed the rubber band once or twice since.

davent

Quote from: das234 on April 15, 2021, 02:08:40 AM
Quote from: davent on April 15, 2021, 01:56:49 AM

dave

I did try to squeeze the fork together to tighten it but that did nothing.  Any favorite brand of chemicals to glue it?

I have a small anvil and small ball peen hammers but not sure the force necessary with those would also lead to marring the surfaces of the tuner.

If gluing be sure to mask thoroughly, glue too easily finds it's way to where you don't want it.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

Quote from: davent on April 15, 2021, 05:12:12 PM
If gluing be sure to mask thoroughly, glue too easily finds it's way to where you don't want it.
dave

I'd also add to wear disposable gloves. Trying to separate your superglued fingers sucks, and it happens no matter how careful you are.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Invertiguy

Hey, I have the exact same issue on an old Peavey bass. I imagine a dab of JB Weld would hold it in place just fine as long as you clamp it while it cures. Unfortunately the flat piece on mine separated completely and since it wasn't my main bass got stuck in a parts drawer where it promptly disappeared, so a new tuner is in order.
Doomsday Devices