News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wavelord - Multi pot mod

Started by madbean, May 24, 2020, 06:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Issue: When you turn the Multiplier pot into its last 1/3rd of its rotation the multiplier "resets" to a 1:1 ratio.

Cause: While it's not shown in the application circuit in the TAPLFO3 datasheet, it is explained earlier on in the doc. It's 100% my fault for overlooking this when I worked out the Wavelord! What happens is once the Multiplier wiper voltage reaches a certain point it goes from x4 speed back to x1 speed. This occurs when the wiper exceeds 3.75v.

Fix: To prevent the reset, we have to put an additional limit on the wiper of the pot. Luckily, this is a very easy fix.
- You need to install a 4k7 between lug3 of the Multi pot and PCB. For a PCB pin mounted pot, this means you'll need to cut part of pin3 and solder a 4k7 to connect to the board. Alternatively, you can use a 10kB wired pot and just use the resistor instead of a wire. Please see the pic below.

This also has another advantage in that it spreads out the Multi control so the changeover spots b/w the 1/2, x1, x1.5, x2 and x4 are spread out more.

Who should do this mod: If you are building the Wavelord now you should do the mod. If you've already built and boxed it I'd say weigh out the time it's going to take to unbox, mod and rebox it and whether or not it is worth the time. I do apologize for not realizing this error earlier :( I will probably put this mod in for the next run of boards.

I will update the Wavelord build doc with this info ASAP.

ferdinandstrat

I had a feeling this is all you had to do

Thank you for this, really

Zoot

Hi Bean,
This is my humble rendition of your amazing creation. Definitely, the best pedal using the TAPFLO3.
I just made the multiplier mod.
Only wish would be that the tap-tempo LED would turn off when in bypass.
Cheers,
Zoot