News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cerulean v1 Clipping Diodes

Started by das234, April 25, 2021, 01:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

Hi all.  I populated my Cerulean with King of Tone specs and a little part substitution help from Aion, and now I'm looking for some more advice/expertise. 

I'm using four 1n914s in the first clipping diode spots (D1-D4) but I'm not sure what I should use for the second (D5-D8) spots. 

If I understand the operation of this thing correctly, the clipping switch will toggle between the first set of diodes and the second (or neither if I use a center-off switch).  The other switch (for hard clipping mod) toggles between just one set of diodes or both sets of diodes, one after the other (I think I can use a regular on-on switch here but correct me if I'm wrong). 

So far, so good (I think) but the instructions for the hard clipping mod say to use something in D5-8 with a lower clipping threshold than D1-4 and I have no idea what the threshold of the different combinations shown in the instructions are, nor where to find that information.  I did socket the whole diode section so I can try different things but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to start with. 

Thanks for your help.

aion

I recommend using 2x and 4X 1N914 for the two switch positions in each spot. (meaning jumper 2 of the 4 diode outlines) The newer Cerulean makes this the default, so you can reference the docs for that if it helps clarify.

das234

Ok.  So I'll have 2 diodes on one side and 4 on the other, got it.  And ON-ON switches are good in both spots (as long as I don't want "diode lift")?

Thanks again.