News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aluminium hole machining - CNC, Laser, Water, punch, drill?

Started by Aentons, April 28, 2021, 07:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

I'd like to try to replicate the elongated pill shaped, and maybe even some rectangular holes, I see in a lot of eurorack aluminium front panels. I'm using 0.09" (2.3mm) thick 6061 (so I can stomp on it). I bought a small professionally made filler panel as an example to make sure I had my measurements correct and it is thinner and feels like a softer more plyable alloy. (See pic)

Does anyone have any recommendations about the best/cheapest/most pro way to do this for a hobbiest? I wouldn't mind buying a small $100-$300 machine that I could get some other good uses out of but Im not sure what that would be yet.

Here is my scenario... I messes up and assumed the hole distance from the side was the same as the hole pitch which is 1HP (5.08mm/0.2"). It's not, it's 1.5 HP. So, (to be in compliance with the eurorack standard) I need to correct all the counter sunk holes I have already by stretching them out to the side.

Thanks for looking!

Aentons

I forgot to mention also that I'd like it to be powerful enough to be able to cut out the whole panel (or a few) from a larger sheet without too much trouble. I've been getting panels custom cut to size from onlinemetals.com and they have a wider tolerance than I'd like. I usually have to sand and file the edges a bit before the panels fit.

Bio77

Check out a broach, or a keyway broach.  If it's 1/8'' aluminum, I don't think you would need a professional press to use one.  Probably a vice and some creativity would do the trick.

Aentons

Quote from: Bio77 on April 28, 2021, 08:43:55 AM
Check out a broach, or a keyway broach.  If it's 1/8'' aluminum, I don't think you would need a professional press to use one.  Probably a vice and some creativity would do the trick.
I've never heard of a broach. I'll check it out. Thanks

Aentons

I was thinking that even something a little outside the box might do...
Maybe buy a cheap 3D printer to print the parts for a DIY Dremel CNC machine.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3004773

I don't know much about 3D print or CNC machines

Aentons

I tried some tests of a couple different Dremel bits to try and extend a 1/8" drilled hole to the side and it was a big ol' fail.

I ended up just drilling 2 holes that almost connect and then filing in between. That's the middle one that is actually pill shaped. It's kind of rough though

Bio77

I did some machining in college.  I think since you're modular units are using 1/8'' aluminum sheets you have a good chance of getting where you want to go.  This would be a lot more challenging with a box enclosure. 

I initially thought broach, but I think a knockout punch is what you are looking for.  It will require a press of some sort. I know of this type of thing but I don't have any first hand experience to offer beyond that.  If you know anyone that does machining that would be the best place to start.  Presses are a good way to loose teeth, so, make sure you do enough research to do this safely. 

You might check McMasterCarr.com for the tool and then figure out a cheaper route from there.  Hope that helps.

matmosphere

Is there a local maker space anywhere near your home in the "south-east quadrant, USA, Americas , Terra?" They would almost certainly have the equipment you require.

Bio77

I found this suggested on a a radio forum, but for 1/16 aluminum, might work.

Aentons

Quote from: Aentons on April 28, 2021, 04:26:12 PM
I've never heard of a broach. I'll check it out. Thanks
I couldn't find one that was small and had a rounded edge but it is definitely good to know about broaches and that they are an option. Thanks.

Quote from: Bio77 on April 29, 2021, 10:43:40 AM
I think since you're modular units are using 1/8'' aluminum sheets you have a good chance of getting where you want to go.
It's even thinner than that at like 3/32nds

Quote from: Bio77
I initially thought broach, but I think a knockout punch is what you are looking for.  It will require a press of some sort. ... Hope that helps.
I looked for some oblong punches but all I see are for leather and softer/thiner materials.  Not sure I'd want to buy a press just for this tho. I'll keep looking around at these to see if something turns up.

It does help. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote from: Bio77 on April 29, 2021, 04:09:32 PM
I found this suggested on a a radio forum, but for 1/16 aluminum, might work.
I saw these while looking around but I don't think they make them small enough, plus no rounded edge

I actually have an old worn out chop saw with a new aluminum cutting blade on it that produces relatively straight and clean cuts so I'm ok with using it for the panel edges. It's kind of a hassel tho so I was just looking for something a little easier.

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 29, 2021, 12:11:49 PM
Is there a local maker space anywhere near your home in the "south-east quadrant, USA, Americas , Terra?" They would almost certainly have the equipment you require.
That is an excellent question. I would have never thought of that.

I looked it up and there is one in the next sector over but their membership is $50/month and it's about a 30-45 min drive depending on traffic so prob not an option for me. However my local library does offer a 3d printer makerspace by appointment only. They don't have the pricing advertised. I'll keep it in mind.

oeslicoalfin

When you say you don't have a press, do you mean a punch or drill press? I was thinking a cross-slide vise with a diamond tile cutting bit (similar to rotozip) in a drill press would allow you to make straight line cuts in the x- or y-direction with rounded edges. You could probably get away with using a titanium or black oxide coated bit in aluminum, too. A cross-slide vise and bench-top drill press are less than $300. Craigslist, eBay, and estate sales may be better places to find cheaper equipment. There have been a lot of estate sales the past year.

Before dropping the coin on that, try to talk with the person that manages that maker space at your local library. S/he probably has some insight and other connections in the community. Same goes for a local machine shop, body shop, etc. You can ask how they would go about doing what you want done. Then, you can decide if it's worth the investment in that type of equipment. Don't forget to see if there is a local synth scene because they are already fabricating similar face plates for their rack setups. A shop teacher at a local high school or community college would know what you need, but none of the shop classes I took are offered nowadays at any of my kids schools as far as I know.

Let us know what you come up with and how that fritter you posted fits into the grand scheme of things...