News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Photon Boost w/Bio77 enclosure

Started by gordo, May 04, 2021, 07:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I'd started the Tag Team builds thread to detail enclosures I've been lucky enough to obtain from other members.  This fits in nicely but I've never seen the 'filmless' decal process in person so wanted to showcase it.  It's mindblowing in terms of how it integrates onto the surface of the pedal and photos just don't do it justice.  I took the first couple of shots outside just to get the colors to be true.

First off, big thanks to Bio77 for his generous effort in getting my Photon build to be so top shelf.  Also big thanks to Kevin over at Aion for the project.  This is a great boost and features nearly unusable amounts of clean levels and really kicks the snot out of my little amp when needed.  About a third of the way up puts my amp in the 'zone', anything beyond that is bordering on amp abuse :-)

Bio77 included the massive LED and bezel as well as the knob and toggle switch nut so the pedal really has a theme going on.  I never usually put this much thought into getting an enclosure decked out, which is why his builds always look so top notch.  I had mounted the output jack slightly cocked to clear the enclosure but realized after the photos that it fits so it's been straightened out.  I'd also considered using a soft touch bypass on this project but Kevin does such a nice job on the bypass board that I kept it.  This thing will stay on full time in my newly outfitted loop switch board anyway.  The LED is slick in that it glows a not overly bright amber and looks just like an incandescent bulb, befitting it's size.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jjjimi84

Damn man that is fine as hell!!!! Nice work!

harryklippton

Wooooooooo that looks fuckin sick!!! Wowowow

Feral Feline

+1 On the giant LED.

A really great-looking pedal.

cooder

Superb inside out and the decal is amazeballs. The concentric circles are hypnotizing.
BigNoise Amplification

mjg

That decal is super nice...I actually thought it was a face plate or something at first, it is very clear and really pops. 

Bio77

Awesome!  Pro execution on the crammage  8) 

I would have envisioned this one with a soft touch, too.  I really dig Aion's new boards but that power cap and diode on the foot board does make the mixing and matching more complicated.

aion

Wow, this is next-level!! The polished enclosure just pulls everything together.

Quote from: Bio77 on May 04, 2021, 04:58:12 PM
I would have envisioned this one with a soft touch, too.  I really dig Aion's new boards but that power cap and diode on the foot board does make the mixing and matching more complicated.

I'm working on a relay bypass module... but as usual there are a few engineering puzzles I've concocted for myself that I need to solve. I've got some innovative ideas though and hopefully it'll be something I can do later this year, backwards compatible with most of the existing boards.

That said, typically all the parts on the bypass PCBs are non-essential and can either be omitted or wired off-board (LED, polarity protection and power filter resistors & caps) or replaced by existing relay modules. The only exceptions are ones with buffered bypass like the Klon and Cornish-based ones that do have a few resistors from the main circuit on the bypass board.

peAk

Absolutely love the look of it. Stunning.

Hexjibber

This looks awesome, great work all round! I really like the fancy toggle nut! Does anyone have a source for those, or what I should be searching for?

KMRO

Pedal and bezel look awesome.  Great work!

Thewintersoldier

This is really great guys! No one is better at the execution no film like John and his roland space echo style is truly some top notch stuff. And another super clean build from Gordo as well. Love this type of colab!
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

Thanks folks.  My last two builds have been colabs with John and with jjjimi84 and are easily my favorites just for personal reasons.  Well, that and they're cool sounding pedals to boot.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

m-Kresol

damn, that's immensly clean inside and out. this is juan/cleggy level...  8)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials