News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The pedal movIe

Started by jimilee, May 05, 2021, 02:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFZ

Quote from: jimilee on May 05, 2021, 02:31:27 PM
Did anyone watch it, what did you think? There seem to be rumors and conflicting stories on how fuzz and distortion were created. I tend to believe the movie, Josh seems to be a stand up guy and pedal collector and aficionado. Thoughts?

You mean Josh the JHS dude? Their entire pedal portfolio is a big collection of clones, see here. Also plenty of other small builders in there they ripped off.

Regarding the movie: the first 100 minutes that dealt with the history of pedals was a nice watch. I could have done without the rest of it which was a mix of the protagonists jerking themselves off  and self-adulation, only to squeeze in a justification for clones of other pedals as a legit business model in at the last second.

jimilee

Quote from: TFZ on May 06, 2021, 10:41:49 AM
Did anyone watch it, what did you think? There seem to be rumors and conflicting stories on how fuzz and distortion were created. I tend to believe the movie, Josh seems to be a stand up guy and pedal collector and aficionado. Thoughts?

You mean Josh the JHS dude? Their entire pedal portfolio is a big collection of clones, see here. Also plenty of other small builders in there they ripped off.

Regarding the movie: the first 100 minutes that dealt with the history of pedals was a nice watch. I could have done without the rest of it which was a mix of the protagonists jerking themselves off  and self-adulation, only to squeeze in a justification for clones of other pedals as a legit business model in at the last second.
I don't care about his pedal line, you're right. He has a decent knowledge of pedal history and an extensive pedal collection.  I watch his YouTube channel for the history segments. The Paul Gilbert show, that was alright too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Quote from: jimilee on May 06, 2021, 10:44:00 AM

I don't care about his pedal line, you're right. He has a decent knowledge of pedal history and an extensive pedal collection.  I watch his YouTube channel for the history segments. The Paul Gilbert show, that was alright too.

Yeah, I'm not going to run out and buy his pedals anytime soon, but he clearly does a lot of research about old pedals for his next product YouTube video.

Sorry, I try not to be too negative in post but that one was just too easy.

jimilee

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 06, 2021, 12:21:44 PM
Quote from: jimilee on May 06, 2021, 10:44:00 AM

Yeah, I'm not going to run out and buy his pedals anytime soon, but he clearly does a lot of research about old pedals for his next product YouTube video.

Sorry, I try not to be too negative in post but that one was just too easy.

It's all good man. If we agreed on everything, the discussion wouldn't get very far.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Just supposed to be a lighthearted joke. Just going for the cheap laugh. I'm to old to worry to much about that stuff, more important things in the world.

jimilee

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 06, 2021, 01:44:16 PM
Just supposed to be a lighthearted joke. Just going for the cheap laugh. I'm to old to worry to much about that stuff, more important things in the world.
No worries man.... it's all good......

thesmokingman

so I did see the movie and it took me watching it in chunks to finish it ... it wasn't very interesting and once they got to the boutique era the whole thing felt aimless

I don't say that to be mean but I've been at the diy thing a while, not as long as most here but certainly long enough to know a good deal of these stories through other sources both written and in youtube interviews etc. I understand the exclusion of Fuller but I feel that exclusion hurt the film ... there was clearly all this lead-in to a section of the movie that was just missing.

once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Lubdar

I've watched it a couple times now, it seemed weird that after buying the Reverb promoted pedals that we weren't given any earlier access than normal, and that there was a time limit to watch it. Nevertheless, i made the time to watch it or have it on in the background while i worked at the bench.

As a general statement, I enjoy learning about the history of pedals and the general 'what goes on' about effects. I suppose if I didn't, I wouldn't be here :)  I do like the stories of how we got to where we are, but admit that after the movie's history lesson, the story was getting hard to follow. It would jump from cool interesting history to something else, then back in for a second. I feel like it wasn't the best decision to throw things in towards the end without giving them more time/details and context.

Its like the comedic presentation with a time limit; the presenter realizes they only have a couple minutes left so they speed through a bunch of slides just for the sake of saying they "completed" the presentation.

In the end, I thought it was something cool to watch. I hope more film makers (hopefully outside the scope of Reverb) produce more content like this.

(--c^.^)--c