News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to cut stripboard to size

Started by GeorgeFormanGrill, May 06, 2021, 12:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeFormanGrill

Hey all:

Another basic question: how do people typically cut stripboard down to size? I've got a new board that I'm trying to size for a build, and was curious if there were any quick, tried and true ways to trim stripboard. I've used an exacto knife for perfboard in the past, but that was time-consuming and not sure it would work in this case.

Thanks for any tips!
George

jimilee

I use a black sharpie to outline the size of the board I need. I then use a knife to make cuts(just like the ones that are required in the tracks on the board) along the black sharpie lines. Then it snaps apart pretty easily.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peccary

I'll use a metal straight edge and box cutter to score each side a few times and then snap it. You don't have to go all the way through, but you do have to give multiple cuts in the same space. If you cut across the holes, and not the space in between the holes, it should come apart fairly well and you can clean up the rough edges with some sandpaper.

GeorgeFormanGrill

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I must be working with a thicker than normal stripboard, because it's taking a long time to score this bad boy. I've used a box cutter to make the cuts, but it's not snapping off very easily.

peccary

Quote from: GeorgeFormanGrill on May 06, 2021, 01:13:02 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I must be working with a thicker than normal stripboard, because it's taking a long time to score this bad boy. I've used a box cutter to make the cuts, but it's not snapping off very easily.

You'll flub a few, for sure. Some people describe being able to just make light cuts and snap it like magic. That's never been my experience, but I don't use it often and am still new to this. Make sure you have a sharp blade. Once you cut enough pieces you'll get the feel for it. But yeah, you're going to ruin a few for sure while getting your bearings.

GeorgeFormanGrill

Cool. Good advice. Thanks. I'm also a slow learner.

Any tips for how to make cuts? I've seen some people drill a hole first and then cut by hand. Do you use an exacto to make the cut on the board?

jimilee

Use a cutting board or a surface of some sort, you will cut yourself if you don't. Don't ask me how I know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Sometimes I just use a cheap pair of angle cutter the next row over across the holes. It's quick and dirty, but it gets the job done. Scoring is cleaner.

As for making the trace cuts, I use a drill bit that's slightly larger than the traces to gently cut a at the copper. Just place tip of the bit it in the hole and give it a gentle twist. Just remember to make the cuts the mirror of the layout. The layouts are parts side up so the cuts are on the other side. I think people drill through to make sure they do them in the correct spots.

jimilee

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 06, 2021, 01:50:21 PM
Sometimes I just use a cheap pair of angle cutter the next row over across the holes. It's quick and dirty, but it gets the job done. Scorning and bending is cleaner.

As for making the trace cuts, I use a drill bit that's slightly larger than the traces to gently cut a at the copper. Just place it in the hole and give it a gentle twist. Just remember to make the cuts the mirror of the layout. The layouts are parts side up so the cuts are on the other side. I think people drill through to make sure they do them in the correct spots.
It starts turning into fabrication if I have to use power tools....[emoji12]

matmosphere

Quote from: jimilee on May 06, 2021, 01:51:43 PM
Quote from: Matmosphere on May 06, 2021, 01:50:21 PM
Sometimes I just use a cheap pair of angle cutter the next row over across the holes. It's quick and dirty, but it gets the job done. Scorning and bending is cleaner.

As for making the trace cuts, I use a drill bit that's slightly larger than the traces to gently cut a at the copper. Just place it in the hole and give it a gentle twist. Just remember to make the cuts the mirror of the layout. The layouts are parts side up so the cuts are on the other side. I think people drill through to make sure they do them in the correct spots.
It starts turning into fabrication if I have to use power tools....[emoji12]

Oh wait, I didn't mean angle cutter. I meant component lead cutter.

peccary

Quote from: GeorgeFormanGrill on May 06, 2021, 01:40:43 PM
Cool. Good advice. Thanks. I'm also a slow learner.

Any tips for how to make cuts? I've seen some people drill a hole first and then cut by hand. Do you use an exacto to make the cut on the board?

I use a power drill with a 3/32 bit. It takes *very* light pressure, or else you'll drill through the entire thing before you know it. I think you could get away with just the bit but, you know... I bought this damn drill and I'm going to get my money's worth from it!   ;D

GeorgeFormanGrill

Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have a pic of what their cuts look like after they've used a drill bit? Trying to gauge how much is too little (and too much).

peccary

Quote from: GeorgeFormanGrill on May 06, 2021, 02:06:50 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have a pic of what their cuts look like after they've used a drill bit? Trying to gauge how much is too little (and too much).

Here's one I started but never got back to working on.

GeorgeFormanGrill

Nice! Thanks. I'm not too far off then. Back to work...

davent

Dustmask, hacksaw or Dremel with a fibre reinforced cutoff wheel.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?