News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Newbie to the forum - need help with a DI Box Project

Started by Makemoremusicpodcast, May 08, 2021, 08:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makemoremusicpodcast

Hi everyone - I'm recently off my first build assisted by member mjcyates - a fuzz factory clone from a PCB and it turned out great! I'm a music therapist, gear nut, and podcaster out of the Louisville, KY area.

I need some help though and MCJYates recommended I post here.

I have a mandolin player friend that was wondering if it would be possible to build something like this: https://www.fire-eye.com/red-eye-1

He was recommended that product by a pro-level mandolin player. Essentially, I need an active DI that would support a very high impedance from a piezo pickup. The tone / treble control is a plus as well.

If possible, I'd love to build something like that for him. Anyone have any ideas of some similar projects, pcbs, schematics, or something that could point me in the right direction. I'm still new to all this, so feel free to talk slowly like I'm an idiot.

Thanks y'all - excited to be a part of this community!
Chris

-
Give more grace.
Share more love.
Make more music.

Zerro

Here are some schematics you could appreciate:
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

Makemoremusicpodcast

-
Give more grace.
Share more love.
Make more music.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Makemoremusicpodcast

-
Give more grace.
Share more love.
Make more music.

Zerro

Piezo EQ I attached before has updated values now.

Makemoremusicpodcast

-
Give more grace.
Share more love.
Make more music.

Makemoremusicpodcast

Quote from: Zerro on May 09, 2021, 06:01:43 AM
Here are some schematics you could appreciate:

Hey Zerro - any tips or advice on transferring this schematic over to a stripboard? I fear I'm in over my head right now without someone to talk to me like a 5-year old.

Thanks,
Chris
-
Give more grace.
Share more love.
Make more music.

Zerro

Sorry, my english is not so great, it is not my native language, so stripboard and other termines in your question are not clear to me. Do you mean some testing board? Or sw-simulator?

Makemoremusicpodcast

Thanks for responding in the TH post. You're a gem of a person, Zerro!

I mean stripboard like tag / veroboard. I know all these terms are not interchangeable but like the layouts found on: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2018/06/baja-ampeg-svt-bass-amplifier.html?m=1
-
Give more grace.
Share more love.
Make more music.

Zerro

Thank you, I allways thouhgt that I am genius! (That humble one :@)
My schematics I share here are gathered for a long time, but many of them I tried only on breadboard, to play around.
It is very useful to get some SW for genering PCB prints. Some of them are for free, especially at open-source community. I never had something similar. Projecting my PCBs at milimeter paper :@) Now I have some programs for it to try it, but I use Linux at my PC. Don't know what kind of comp you have.

Makemoremusicpodcast

Thanks Zerro - I run macOS on my main computer. I have access to windows as well. Familiar with Linux / Ubuntu but it has been a long time.
-
Give more grace.
Share more love.
Make more music.

Zerro

Try PCB designer. This is what I have now to study. Seems to be good. But I am at very start.

Makemoremusicpodcast

-
Give more grace.
Share more love.
Make more music.

m-Kresol

depending on what you want to do, you could also use Eagle and just go for a manufactured pcb.
if it is tinkering with part values, IC types etc. and especially circuit itself, I agree that vero/stripboard is easier/faster. you could also try a breadboard for these types.
if you already have part values and circuit down, you can also directly go for a pcb design (look for JMK's Eagle tutorial, they are still valid for the most part despite extensive software updates since he made them)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials