News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mxr phase 100

Started by Thewintersoldier, May 09, 2021, 06:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I'm sure Jimi would back me up on this. You make a 45 and 90 so why not 100? No one else is doing this and its different enough  that I think it warrants a board. Phase rant over for now.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Govmnt_Lacky

IF I were to guess, it would be because the 100 uses 3 vactrols and seeing as the prices of those went through the roof.... people may be hesitant to build one. Just my guess  :-\

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 10, 2021, 03:45:48 AM
IF I were to guess, it would be because the 100 uses 3 vactrols and seeing as the prices of those went through the roof.... people may be hesitant to build one. Just my guess  :-\
I thought about that but Brian usually has us roll our own, I mean look at the glass hole.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 10, 2021, 05:32:58 AM
I thought about that but Brian usually has us roll our own, I mean look at the glass hole.

The vactrols in the 100 are a bit different from the usual. The VTL5C2(or 3)/2 has a center tap on the LDR side with a single LED driving it.

Thewintersoldier

Couldn't two ldrs be used and one leg from each tied together on the board?
Who the hell is Bucky?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 10, 2021, 05:57:58 AM
Couldn't two ldrs be used and one leg from each tied together on the board?

Maybe. Would have to dig into the specs of the VTL5C2 or VTL5C3.

jimilee

This is the reason GGG discontinued theirs. The template to etch your own is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

How about a Phase 195

Switchable between 6,4,2 phases and the other 4 static phases of the 100 as optional. With ability to build to jfet smd pads, holes, or vactrols

I know that's a tall order :)

jimilee

The problem is, you're getting into a place where it's cheaper to buy a 100. Search the forum for the liquid Mercury. It's like a 100 with tap tempo. I do t know if any boards exist still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Ah fond memories.  The GGG was one of my first big etches and was a gamble because the vactrols were expensive even back then.  To my total surprise the thing worked.  Probably poured a tank of fuel on my budding pedal building obsession...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: gordo on May 10, 2021, 11:39:18 AM
Ah fond memories.  The GGG was one of my first big etches and was a gamble because the vactrols were expensive even back then.  To my total surprise the thing worked.  Probably poured a tank of fuel on my budding pedal building obsession...
My first real pedal build about 5 or 6 years ago was a GGG tone bender. Was a mess of spaghetti but it worked. Seems like a lot of us were building JDs kits
Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

My second and third builds were a GGG LPB1 and a GGG green russian muff. I used the LPB1 to boost my '84 JCM 800 and my wife used the muff on bass in the band we were in. Still have both and cherish them, even if they don't get used

madbean

I've actually never built a phase 100. I wouldn't say no to that idea. Someday I will get the 10 other phaser designs I've done finally released so no reason not to make it go to 11.

gordo

It was strange too because I had just started etching my own boards and this was potentially way outside of my comfort zone, and my first experience with vactrols.  TBH I was never a big P100 fan only because of the Stones "Shattered" sound.  I seem to recall that the P100 and the Maestro with the big rollers on the side having a fairly similar "yoy-yoy" kind of voicing.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: madbean on May 10, 2021, 05:32:37 PM
I've actually never built a phase 100. I wouldn't say no to that idea. Someday I will get the 10 other phaser designs I've done finally released so no reason not to make it go to 11.
That's the spirit Brian. Now about that poly-phase....lol
Who the hell is Bucky?