News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hello from Southern California

Started by peccary, May 03, 2021, 03:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peccary

Hey folks,

I just thought I would stop in and say hello. I've been building pedals as a regular hobby for the past 8 months or so. About 9 years ago I did my first build, which was on vero. I've done a few vero projects since I started last year, but have been doing 99% PCBs now since I discovered people were actually selling PCB clones. Not sure which rock I was hiding under before then. I've completed 8 full pedals and have probably 10 others in various stages of being built, waiting for components and time.

I play bass and a little guitar (cowboy chords). I've been playing bass off and on for the past 20+ years, though it has been at least 5-6 years since I've been in a band, so most of my time has been spent as a bedroom bassist. I tend to play just about every day, even if it's noodling on the couch while watching reruns of Law and Order while the family is sleeping.

I have no real experience with electronics. The closest it comes is when I did facilities management for a restaurant and fixing animatronic monkeys suddenly became part of my job. I have a mechanical mind that can take things apart and put them back together, but the theory of it all tends to be far beyond my aptitude. I am trying to learn, though. Who knows, in a decade or so I might be able to actually sound like I know what I'm talking about.

I have spent a good amount of time on the PedalPCB forum proving my ignorance and noticed some familiar names here. Since they all seemed like good folks I figured I might as well pop in here as well. I've not built any MB boards yet but I will probably grab each of the bass pedals once the Edgelord comes in.

So yeah. Hello!

cooder

Howdy, yes a great place to hang out! And the bass pedals might be just up your alley then...
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Welcome fellow bassist, we're glad you're here. Have any pictures of your creations?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peccary

Quote from: jimilee on May 03, 2021, 05:15:08 PM
Welcome fellow bassist, we're glad you're here. Have any pictures of your creations?

Thanks!

Yeah, here are a few of the most recent builds:

A pair of PedalPCB Zappers, and the orange one is a PedalPCB Amentum. Last one is a PedalPCB Leprechaun, but I ran out of photos I can post so no gut shot.

Leevibe

Welcome! That's some beautiful work there. You're going to fit right in

peccary

Quote from: Leevibe on May 03, 2021, 06:21:32 PM
Welcome! That's some beautiful work there. You're going to fit right in

Thank you. Almost all of the credit goes to the people who have been generous enough to share their experiences and personal efforts with others. I'm just able to follow direction relatively well!

jjjimi84

harryklippton

matmosphere

Welcome. I am with you on the pcb thing. I built a lot on Vero, and still do some, but you can't be a pcb for ease of build. I only do Vero and perf if I find a "must have this now" kind of thing these days.

I think of myself as a bass player too, though I have played guitar for a lot longer than I have bass. I know that I would rather play bass in a band though.

Feral Feline

Hello from Hong Kong, Peccary.

Great to see you here.

All the bass players are coming out of the woodwork.  ;)

peccary

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 04, 2021, 06:21:59 AM
Welcome. I am with you on the pcb thing. I built a lot on Vero, and still do some, but you can't be a pcb for ease of build. I only do Vero and perf if I find a "must have this now" kind of thing these days.

I think of myself as a bass player too, though I have played guitar for a lot longer than I have bass. I know that I would rather play bass in a band though.

They really do take a lot of the hassle out of building. In particular the off-board wiring for pots and switches, which takes a lot less time, is a lot less frustrating, and looks a thousand times better.

I miss paying in a band. I reached out to my old guitar player and drummer last week to hopefully get something together now that we're all vax'd up. I'm hoping to get something going in the next few months here, even a weekly jam would be pretty amazing right now.

Bret608

I always remember you over at PedalPCB because you have David Berman for your avatar, if I'm not mistaken. Fine choice if so! This is where I started out in DIY, and I'm sure you'll like it here too.

peccary

Quote from: Bret608 on May 04, 2021, 11:41:51 AM
I always remember you over at PedalPCB because you have David Berman for your avatar, if I'm not mistaken. Fine choice if so! This is where I started out in DIY, and I'm sure you'll like it here too.

Yup, that's me. I was thinking of using the same one over here but figured I'd go the confusion route.