News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Delay Suggestions

Started by Timko, May 22, 2021, 02:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

As fate would have it, a pedal steel player sold me my house.  I found out he played steel nearly 7 years after my purchase, but he's found out that I build pedals, and he asked if I'd be interested in building something for him.  He wanted to start doing some ethereal soundscape stuff with them.  I lent him my 1776 Multiplex, DiabloChris Sagan Delay v1, and Culturejam Triton Delay.

He enjoyed the sound of all of them, and I believe I'm going to build him a Multiplex (primarily because you can't get boards for the other 2 anymore), but I wanted to see if there were any other wild delay PCBs out there I should look at.  Thanks!

gordo

I do a lot of that with little finger on the guitar volume swells and the standard on my board is a TC Nova delay.  Pretty much any of the FV-1 based delays could be substituted.  My thinking is that for pads and atmospheric stuff, especially given the huge bandwidth of a steel that the pristine digital delay opens a lot of possibilities without getting overbearing or muddy.

Also, you can find a lot of FV-1 programs with both delay and reverb so it's a bit of a one stop shop with lots of flexibility via different programs.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Feral Feline

Check out Dead Astronaut's delays, some very cool multi-PT2399 stuff goin...

jimilee

Quote from: Feral Feline on May 23, 2021, 12:02:16 AM
The alien abduction I believe he calls them. I built the first one on an etched board. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Timko

Quote from: jimilee on May 23, 2021, 07:28:07 AM
Quote from: Feral Feline on May 23, 2021, 12:02:16 AM
The alien abduction I believe he calls them. I built the first one on an etched board. Good stuff.

Thanks!  The Binson setting is my favorite setting on the Multiplex, and this delay has a lot of potentional!

culturejam

Quote from: Timko on May 22, 2021, 02:34:04 PM
I believe I'm going to build him a Multiplex (primarily because you can't get boards for the other 2 anymore), ut I wanted to see if there were any other wild delay PCBs out there I should look at.  Thanks!

First, I would suggest checking out some of our host's delay projects, as there are many good ones.

Second, I have some Triton boards kicking around if you want one (and could always easily order more). But I think the Multiplex is a great project and probably a good one for general use. The Triton is sort of niche, at least in my opinion.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

thesameage

I have recently started using delay on bass. I have an old rebote that I've been using for just a short, "almost reverb but not reverb" type delay. It sounds a little digital to me, but is that a function of that short of a delay? If I used a more analog delay, would it sound more organic?

jimilee

I'm a bass player too. I used delay for depth and for when I used to play cover songs like another brick in the wall and such.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

diablochris6

Carcharias Effects makes some Sagan 2.0 PCBs from time to time too. He is based out of Israel though, so there is no telling what postal services are like at the moment...
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

diablochris6

I was also just made aware that somebody in the Czech Republic makes PCBs of the Sagan 1.0. PCBGuitarmania I believe, and a kit is available on musikding. There's even an (empty) subforum on FSB for the site.

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here