News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mythos Golden Fleece

Started by Thewintersoldier, May 22, 2021, 03:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

If you didn't know, the golden fleece fuzz is a clone of the Alan Yee Fuzzy nuts which in turn is a modified Electra+. I built the golden fleece on a fuzzdog Electra board. The Mythos high road is a joey landreth edition of the fleece with Bat41 diodes in both spots. It's a good sounding variant if your looking for a simple build. I used a100k for the volume pot, mythos uses a linear pot.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

Very cool! I am going to put this on the breadboard and hear what the hype is all about.

Thewintersoldier

Try the alternate diodes, or even a higher gain tranny. Might be a good candidate for a ptp build!
Who the hell is Bucky?

dan.schumaker

If you want to try something cool, put R3 on a switch to change the bias of the transistor.  You can get have it really cook, or have it be more of a dirty boost.  I did the same thing on my Breaker pedal.

juniorknebel

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: juniorknebel on July 07, 2021, 08:27:55 AM
4.7k resistor in input?
47k, sorry I realize now it looks like there is a period there.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Aleph Null

I've built a few versions of the Electra, it's amazing how much component choice can effect the voicing in simple circuits like this. I've found that diode selection and output cap value make the biggest differences. I also prefer the EQD "Speaker Cranker" style bias control to a master volume.

Zerro

Here is very interesting, that before diodes is not any resistor - so, those diodes are affecting gain of transistor. See this schematic - author is describing this effect too.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

Jmilla

Does anyone know where to find a 1590a Electra PCB in the us?

Aleph Null

Quote from: Jmilla on July 10, 2021, 09:56:21 AM
Does anyone know where to find a 1590a Electra PCB in the us?

Effects Layouts has the Cranky Speaker. It's also pretty easy to build on vero.

rob_f

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread - thinking of giving this one a go, but just wanted to confirm the values please because the picture doesn't come out great on my laptop. Thanks all!

R1 - 47K ??
R2 - 2M2
R3 - 4.7K ??
R4 - 680
R5 - jumped
C1 - 47nF
C2 - 33nF
C3 - 47uF
C4 - 47uF
D1 - 1N4148
D2 - any Ge ??

Aleph Null

Quote from: rob_f on September 05, 2022, 06:36:17 AM
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread - thinking of giving this one a go, but just wanted to confirm the values please because the picture doesn't come out great on my laptop. Thanks all!

R1 - 47K ??
R2 - 2M2
R3 - 4.7K ??
R4 - 680
R5 - jumped
C1 - 47nF
C2 - 33nF
C3 - 47uF
C4 - 47uF
D1 - 1N4148
D2 - any Ge ??

Those values look correct, except for R1, which appears to be labeled 4.7k. You can probably get away without that resistor if you wire the switch so that the input is grounded in bypass. If you do opt to use a pull-down resistor, you a larger value like 1M is a more common choice. 4.7k is very low and will cause high-end loss.

rob_f

Quote from: Aleph Null on September 06, 2022, 10:49:20 AM
Quote from: rob_f on September 05, 2022, 06:36:17 AM

R1 - 47K ??
R2 - 2M2
R3 - 4.7K ??
R4 - 680
R5 - jumped
C1 - 47nF
C2 - 33nF
C3 - 47uF
C4 - 47uF
D1 - 1N4148
D2 - any Ge ??

Those values look correct, except for R1, which appears to be labeled 4.7k. You can probably get away without that resistor if you wire the switch so that the input is grounded in bypass. If you do opt to use a pull-down resistor, you a larger value like 1M is a more common choice. 4.7k is very low and will cause high-end loss.

Thanks, that's good advice! 1M isn't surprising given that all variations of the electra PCB that photo above is based on all also use 1M. I might order a couple of different values and see what effect it has though - am I right in thinking R1 is what determines your input impedance? I wonder if perhaps R1 is deliberately low on this circuit to more closely match the pickup impedance? (More like classic fuzz than a distortion?)

Aleph Null

Quote from: rob_f on September 06, 2022, 03:31:02 PM
Thanks, that's good advice! 1M isn't surprising given that all variations of the electra PCB that photo above is based on all also use 1M. I might order a couple of different values and see what effect it has though - am I right in thinking R1 is what determines your input impedance? I wonder if perhaps R1 is deliberately low on this circuit to more closely match the pickup impedance? (More like classic fuzz than a distortion?)

Yes, R1 determines the input impedance. Low impedance usually results in a loss of high frequencies, which may or may not be a good thing. R1 also forms a high-pass filter with C1, so it could also mean a loss of lows; 4.7K with 47nF give a cut off frequency of 720Hz. The circuit as drawn is basically a silicon treble booster with clipping diodes.

rob_f

Thanks, that's really helpful. I hadn't really twigged the RC circuit going on at the input. Will have a play with the values and see what happens!