News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help needed. What kind of switch is this?

Started by fair.child, December 18, 2022, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

MBP folks,

I'm in the process repairing old MIDI switching. I came across one switch that needs to be replaced. I know the logic is SPDT but I can't find the part number or even where to source it.

Here are some pictures for the switch.

One of the connection is normally closed and when the switch is pressed, it'll be normally open. I believe it's the logic/trigger for MIDI microcontroller.
It's heavy duty switch and similar to the VFE Carling switch 110 type I've gone to Carling and sent them email as well with the pictures but I'm thinking someone here might have better answer.

If you have some ideas/clues about the switch, then thank you for sharing.

jwin615

Definitely a Carling. Similar to some crybaby switches as well.
Tubes and more have one that looks similar except lugs are on the side, if that will fit.
Not sure if yours is momentary or latching though.
https://www.tubesandmore.com/search/node/Carling+footswitch+/?brands=Carling&categories=Switches

fair.child

I was thinking the same. I see there are several parts that can be a replacement

https://www.amprepairparts.com/switches.htm

FOOT SWITCH, SPDT, MOMENTARY, FOR SWITCHING AND EFFECTS.
Important:  This is one of two types of momentary 3-pin SPDT footswitches using the same footprint.   Click on the diagram to the left, compare the switching with your requirements.   The other switch is the FS-602-PC, with the opposite switching logic.  Customer is responsible for testing and selecting the switch with the correct switching logic - Studio Sound Electronics is not responsible if the wrong switch is selected.
Made for switching and effects units which require a momentary connection rather than a latching connection.    PC terminals.  Has 3 terminals. 
Part #FS-502-PC

Has 3 electrical terminals (single pole, double throw). Solder lugs for wire. This is a "soft click" momentary switch - not latching.   See drawing for switch open/closed arrangement.
Part #FS-398-M

Important:  This is one of two types of momentary 3-pin SPDT footswitches using the same footprint.   Click on the diagram to the left, compare the switching with your requirements.   The other switch is the FS-502-PC, with the opposite switching logic.  Customer is responsible for testing and selecting the switch with the correct switching logic - Studio Sound Electronics is not responsible if the wrong switch is selected.  Made for switching and effects units which require a momentary connection rather than a latching connection.  PC terminals.  Has 3 terminals.   Used in the 5-way foot controller on the Marshallâ„¢ TSL-100 amps for the clean, crunch and lead switches. 
Part #FS-602-PC

Not exactly the same but pretty close. I don't know about the clearance though. It might be hard to find out. I guess I need to ask Bob Bradshaw (CAE) if he has a switch replacement/part substitute for it.