News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Setting up shop (again) tips...?

Started by Drew Hallenbeck, May 27, 2021, 02:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Hallenbeck

We're going to be moving into a new house in a couple of weeks and I thought I'd see what advice/tips I could find here.
I've been building for a little over six years now and have moved once already. My current shop space is pretty limited and I've had to make do in a lot of different ways. I'm going to have WAY more space in the new house which I'm really looking forward to. One thing I already know that I'll be able to add is a drill press and that makes me very happy!
What I'm wondering is this:  If you had to start over in a new space, what would you do differently right from the start? Anything from tools/equipment, furniture (workbench, shelving, etc.) How would you lay out your space for more efficient workflow? Has anyone had any aha moments that made you think "I wish I would have done that a long time ago."?
I've got a few ideas already but figured it couldn't hurt to look for additional inspiration.
You can kind of see my current workbench situation and I got the sheet pan rack idea from Dan Schumaker here a couple of years ago.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

gordo

Looks like the old space was cramped but nicely organized.  It looks like you had a good handle on it but you'll find a drill press makes life a lot easier.  Normal things like good lighting and ventilation are recommended.

I sit all day at work (have been WFH for the past 15 months as well) and I built my current bench to be comfortable working height while standing.  If I do want to sit I use a tall stool.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jjjimi84

Ventilation for soldering and I am a huge fan of using a vacuum with my drill press. Makes things a little less messy, shelves with labels are a huge help and having helping hands set up makes pedalbuilding easier.

alanp

Safety glasses of some sort for the drill press. And a second pair for any nearby "helpers"! (I'm sure she knows not to touch power tools without you around.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peccary

Not sure if it's your thing, but I love my stand-up workbench. I have a tall stool that I can lean on or sit on if I want, but standing has helped me prevent a strained back and neck if that's something that you have dealt with. I imagine after 6 years though that you've got it pretty well figured out for yourself, but though I'd mention it.

gordo

If I was going to do a guitar bench I would definitely do an island so that you can walk completely around it.  Makes repairs so much easier when you don't have to move the instrument.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?