News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD - '01 PRS McCarty

Started by pickdropper, May 27, 2021, 12:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I wasn't shopping, but this fell into my lap at a good price so I couldn't resist.  It's an '01 PRS McCarty in Tortoise Shell finish.  It's in pretty amazing condition for a 20 year old instrument.  I don't think it got played much.  While I tend to favor the current production PRS guitars slightly, this is a really nice instrument.

It's a great playing instrument, but the stock McCarty pickups are fairly awful, so I'm going to throw a set of Wolfetone pickups in it.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Wow, that's beautiful man. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on May 27, 2021, 12:48:43 PM
Wow, that's beautiful man. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jimi!
Function f(x)

jjjimi84

Fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkkkk mmmmeeeeee!

Man, that thing is beautiful! Great grab

culturejam

Lookin good, Mr. McCarteeeer.  8)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

dan.schumaker

Beautiful!  I love the color on that, and the figuring!  Is it a 10-top?

gordo

Very jealous.  I love that color and the McCarty is my fav model in it's wraparound form.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

diablochris6

Gorgeous guitar. I've always favored this look with some f-holes, but it would be a shame to carve out any more of that beautiful top.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

pickdropper

Quote from: dan.schumaker on May 27, 2021, 08:25:37 PM

Nope, it's just a standard top, albeit a pretty nice one.  I've got two core PRS's with standard tops that I like better than many 10 tops I've seen.  It's a bit inconsistent of a system.

In this particular case, I'm glad it's not a ten as it would've increased the price and probably taken it past my interest level.
Function f(x)

dan.schumaker

Quote from: pickdropper on May 28, 2021, 12:44:20 AM

Nope, it's just a standard top, albeit a pretty nice one.  I've got two core PRS's with standard tops that I like better than many 10 tops I've seen.  It's a bit inconsistent of a system.

In this particular case, I'm glad it's not a ten as it would've increased the price and probably taken it past my interest level.

I would have deemed it a 10  ;)  Great score!

madbean

Badass. Not too blingy just the right amount! You have a 594 too, right? Still kinda want one of those.

pickdropper

Quote from: dan.schumaker on May 28, 2021, 01:00:52 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on May 28, 2021, 12:44:20 AM

I would have deemed it a 10  ;)  Great score!

Thanks Dan, I'm very pleased.  Hopefully the new pickups arrive soon.

As far as the grading goes, my understanding (which could be wrong) is that they grade them as raw boards, not as finished guitars.  This happens before the top is carved.  Carving the top can change the top.  Sometimes regular grade tops end up looking really good.  Unfortunately, sometimes 10-tops end up looking just OK.  It's wood, so it's highly variable.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on May 28, 2021, 02:11:42 AM
Badass. Not too blingy just the right amount! You have a 594 too, right? Still kinda want one of those.

No, my wrist doesn't get along with the 594.  I tried again yesterday at the local shop and it's a no go.  I can't do the asymmetrical carve.

I have an SC-245, which I absolutely love.  The pattern neck on it is perfect for me (even better than this McCarty).  That's also just a normal top, but I might like it even better.

Function f(x)

madbean

Quote from: pickdropper on May 28, 2021, 02:14:11 AM

No, my wrist doesn't get along with the 594.  I tried again yesterday at the local shop and it's a no go.  I can't do the asymmetrical carve.

I have an SC-245, which I absolutely love.  The pattern neck on it is perfect for me (even better than this McCarty).  That's also just a normal top, but I might like it even better.

Wow, yeah. I like that 245 even better! Still haven't been able to try a 594. I just recently sold the Vela I bought last year. Very fine guitar but ultimately not quite right for me. I still have my S2 22 but I might even let that one go (in the interest of reducing my collection). There are so many PRS guitars that I dig, but I like the super blingy stuff they do least of all. Yours are extremely tasteful (not that my opinion matters here, haha). The neck on that 245 looks like a real dream to play.

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on May 28, 2021, 02:55:19 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on May 28, 2021, 02:14:11 AM

Wow, yeah. I like that 245 even better! Still haven't been able to try a 594. I just recently sold the Vela I bought last year. Very fine guitar but ultimately not quite right for me. I still have my S2 22 but I might even let that one go (in the interest of reducing my collection). There are so many PRS guitars that I dig, but I like the super blingy stuff they do least of all. Yours are extremely tasteful (not that my opinion matters here, haha). The neck on that 245 looks like a real dream to play.

I would definitely recommend checking out a 594.  They are beautiful guitars.  While the necks don't work for me, it is massively popular, so it clearly works for a lot of people.

I know PRS has a rep for bling (somewhat deserved) but there are plenty of workhorse instruments out there.  Those Custom 22s are nice, though.  I'm surprised you're thinking of letting that one go.  Then again, you're better about keeping your instrument count sane. 
Function f(x)