News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD - Gibson Non-Reverse Firebird

Started by Aentons, June 01, 2021, 05:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

This is the first actually new,new guitar I've ever bought even tho it is already 5 years old. Got this straight from the Gibson Demo Shop as a factory "Mod".

2016 Gibson Non-Reverse Firebird in Vintage Copper Limited Edition with a factory added short Vibrola

It does not have the magnet rail type Firebird pickups which is kind of a bummer but these are a Classic 57 and 57+ which are great too.

The body is thin like an SG but not quite as contoured but still feels very nice

The neck is the fatter rounded profile which I much prefer to the slim taper

jimilee

Nice, congratulations!! I love me some Gibson. I just learned about that shop. There are some videos on you tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

DLW

pickdropper

That's great.  Very nice looking guitar.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Aentons

I did some hardware updates on it and like how it looks much better now.

Chrome tuners with pearloid buttons
Cream switch tip
Reflector knobs
Chrome roller bridge
Chrome vibrola handle

jimilee

Very nice! Is that copper color

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Quote from: jimilee on August 08, 2021, 11:51:05 AM
Very nice! Is that copper color

Yep they call it "Vintage Copper". It's looks better in certain lights than others. It's somewhere in between semigloss and satin and has a very slight texture with minimal wood fillers.

It's this one, with vibrola added
http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Vintage-Copper-Firebird-Limited.aspx

Aentons

I'm thinking about trying my hand at winding some full size bobbin Firebird pickups with alnico 2 magnets for it. I've never done it but it looks to be within the realm of possibility.

There are plenty of regular mini firebird pickups out there but not many people make a full size one so I'm not sure what they would sound like.

Aentons

Quote from: Aentons on August 08, 2021, 12:33:29 PM
I'm thinking about trying my hand at winding some full size bobbin Firebird pickups with alnico 2 magnets for it. I've never done it but it looks to be within the realm of possibility.

There are plenty of regular mini firebird pickups out there but not many people make a full size one so I'm not sure what they would sound like.

Rather than dive into winding my own pickups, I decided to try out something similar and ran across an interesting set for cheap on Reverb. So I took the Classic 57 and 57+ out and put these in. I really like them, they are definitely not a typical Gibson or Fender sound. Other than being full size humbuckers, they are exactly the specs I was looking for. You can't buy them separately and they only come in select models, so I consider myself lucky to have found them so quickly and easily.

These are set of Epiphone Probucker FB720

"Epiphone's ProBucker™ humbucker has quietly become one of the most talked about pickups in the industry. It has fooled experts, vintage purists, and even luthiers who have worked with the best vintage examples from the late 50s and early 60s. Epiphone ProBucker™ humbuckers are the real deal--made with 18% Nickel Silver unit bases and covers, the same alloy used by Gibson at the Kalamazoo factory when the humbucker was first invented. The use of Nickel Silver reduces the occurrence of eddy currents due to low conductivity and provides a more transparent and crisp output. The size and shape of the bobbins also has a great impact on tonal response. And the bobbins used on ProBucker™ pickups duplicate the size and shape of the gold standard in the industry, Gibson humbuckers. Epiphone ProBucker™ pickups also feature sand cast Alnico II magnets, high quality 4 conductor lead wire, and are vacuum wax potted to eliminate microphonics."

"The "Treasure" Firebird-I is powered by the new ProBucker™ FB720 pickup, reconstructed at Epiphone to the original specifications of Gibson Firebird pickups from the mid 60s. Accept no substitutes! The ProBucker™ FB720 has two Alnico II bar magnets used as blades in coils along with a steel reflector plate to achieve the classic Firebird tone of the 60s. Because the DC resistance is around 7.85Kohm, the ProBucker FB720 provides a clean, brighter output with incredible touch sensitivity and a warm low end compared to mini humbuckers, which are used in most Firebird reissues."

Aentons

Plus I think it looks much better with the chrome covers

jimilee

Oh absolutely.

Bio77

Yeah, that does look sharp.  That's a killer guitar.