News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A klon just sold for 3500!

Started by jjjimi84, June 04, 2021, 12:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dont-tase-me-bro

At those prices, I wouldn't be surprised if people start making fakes.  Solder, goop, spray paint.  Way easier than faking a Rolex.  Until we start seeing Klonn or Kllon
I thought this would save me money.

jimilee

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on June 08, 2021, 07:31:41 PM
At those prices, I wouldn't be surprised if people start making fakes.  Solder, goop, spray paint.  Way easier than faking a Rolex.  Until we start seeing Klonn or Kllon

Already happening.....
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Muadzin

As the saying goes, a fool and his money will soon be parted. Also, it's also about bragging rights for some people. Especially on places like TGP, which is like the Japan of guitar internetdom, the source of 3/4ers of all that is weird in the world. And lastly, there still persists a large group of guitarists who are as pathologically afraid of a soldering iron as vampires are to sunlight or a crucifix.

alanp

It's the same as with vintage guitars.

Put a Squier Affinity in the hands of, say, Bill Frisell, and it'll sound damn near as good as a Nocaster in his hands, I'm betting. Do the same thing with me, and both will sound pretty awful.

But you do feel a patina of history (and the Klon does have this, even if not as much) with the Nocaster. Whether you feel the patina is worth the entry price is up to you and your wallet.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

oeslicoalfin

Quote from: jimilee on June 08, 2021, 08:29:25 PM
Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on June 08, 2021, 07:31:41 PM

Already happening.....

For $58 USD, you can have one, too...
https://www.tomtop.com/p-i7693.html?utm_source=YM&utm_medium=RM&utm_content=ym-dsp_304744&aid=ymdsphxy&utm_term=fannie_304744_{DOMAIN_NAME}_ai_64688b88d647df2c&ai_policy=ai_64688b88d647df2c

Tremster

TC Electronic just introduced their Klon:
https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0EBW
Around 60 $. This will sell like hot cakes.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on June 04, 2021, 04:23:48 PM
I check Daves everyday because I am on the hunt for a certain guitar, a guitar I am hesitant to even buy because I am not a two thousand dollar guitar player and then I saw that someone actually paid 3500 for a pedal it blew my mind.

They must be one helluva a great guitar player or one heck of a great lawyer.
what guitar are you looking for Dan?
Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

I like hearing everyones thoughts on this subject, I think Alanp hit it on the head. Listen to Jack Pearson killing it on a squier and you realize its not the gear but the player.

Muadzin, I forgot about TGP, I remember it from long ago being a somewhat civilplace and a good way to score deals on gear but about 7 years ago I remember just thinking "not for me". Opinions are like assholes everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone elses stinks

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on June 09, 2021, 12:01:21 PM

2012 PRS Studio with 57/08 pickup in the bridge, it is easily one of the best guitars I have ever played and for what I like to do it would tick a lot of boxes. One day........

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on June 09, 2021, 12:52:25 PM
I like hearing everyones thoughts on this subject, I think Alanp hit it on the head. Listen to Jack Pearson killing it on a squier and you realize its not the gear but the player.

Muadzin, I forgot about TGP, I remember it from long ago being a somewhat civilplace and a good way to score deals on gear but about 7 years ago I remember just thinking "not for me". Opinions are like assholes everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone elses stinks

2012 PRS Studio with 57/08 pickup in the bridge, it is easily one of the best guitars I have ever played and for what I like to do it would tick a lot of boxes. One day........
I want a fender toronado, but the regular Dual humbuckers version but people are asking like 1300 for them and for what it is that's too much for a used Mexican fender. When the right one comes along at the right price I'm jumping on it!
Who the hell is Bucky?

jubal81

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on June 09, 2021, 06:15:21 PM

I want a fender toronado, but the regular Dual humbuckers version but people are asking like 1300 for them and for what it is that's too much for a used Mexican fender. When the right one comes along at the right price I'm jumping on it!

Yikes! I paid $600 for one 10 years ago and felt like I overpaid. For $1,300, you could do a LOT better.
I got that one out of nostalgia and didn't keep it long.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

GermanCdn

Le me check the year on mine, it's either a 10 or a 12, and I've been considering moving it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

gordo

For reference I took my nephew to Chicago Music Exchange yesterday.  The cheapest guitar I picked up was $3500 and that was a very cool looking Gibson SG that was a relic of a Jr in Pelham blue with a wraparound tailpiece and two P90's.  Mahogany neck and body.  Played lovely.  Kluson tuners.

It's a slab of mahogany with a mahogany neck.  Nobody fussed over it for weeks.  A CNC machine probably spit it out in less than 5 minutes.

I'm missing something here.  And it's not CME's fault, even though it was a CME spec guitar.  The industry has lost it's mind...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Aentons

Quote from: gordo on June 16, 2021, 03:39:30 PM
For reference I took my nephew to Chicago Music Exchange yesterday.  The cheapest guitar I picked up was $3500 and that was a very cool looking Gibson SG that was a relic of a Jr in Pelham blue with a wraparound tailpiece and two P90's.  Mahogany neck and body.  Played lovely.  Kluson tuners.

It's a slab of mahogany with a mahogany neck.  Nobody fussed over it for weeks.  A CNC machine probably spit it out in less than 5 minutes.

I'm missing something here.  And it's not CNE's fault, even though it was a CME spec guitar.  The industry has lost it's mind...

I agree the prices have gotten out of hand but one could argue that it's not just this industry. A lot of it is purely the cost of labor when it's made in the USA. They don't have to toil at it for weeks for it to be expensive to produce over here. Plus, those are built for, and bought by people and/or companies who are at the top Xpercent of the capitalist totum pole.

In Gibson's defense, after the bankruptcyand as part of a PR push to change their image, they now have a series of YouTube videos that show around the shop and the work that goes into the production. It does give some glimpse of insight here and there.
Here is the playlist of episodes:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7qLGYJiRJ1iUMsYbI8Bze69xQhanONzn

gordo

Yeah, you know, maybe that's it.  I make a really decent living but I play in a praise band situation and a very good one that I'm very proud of.  We've put a lot of work into what we do, but honestly there's no way I can justify tossing down that kind of skin for a guitar.  I guess Gibson isn't for the average dude any more.  I suppose I get that, I've just never thought of myself as excluded before.

To be honest I think the most I've spent on a guitar lately is about $300 and that's probably less than a good set of pickups.  I spend a ton of time making my cheap junk play like big money.

I think I'm a bit pouty tonight because I'm going back to the normal office July 6th...
Gordy Power

gordo

On a less woe-is-me note I played a few Colings's and a few Santa Cruz acoustics and I understand what all the fuss is about there. Holy crap those were like sound cannons and light years beyond anything I've ever played. Even against crazy priced Taylors and old Martins.
Gordy Power