News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Build Report of my MXR Dist+

Started by half_smith, June 06, 2021, 01:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

half_smith

Hey gang, here's a video I made with a build report and demo of my MXR Distortion+ kit from GGG,

It didn't work at first and after checking the solders and values, I started swapping components and using a probe to search for the problem. Eventually discovering I had two resistors transposed (4k7 / 1M) because of a typo in the documents! Dang.
So after a long haul of debugging, and a lot of forum searches and reading, I got the pedal working great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBVGO1L2HM

jimilee

Nicely done, I like it.  That was a very good catch. The only change I made was the distortion pot. Lowered it to about 100k. It doesn't get all the way clean, but with both the volume and the distortion pot at 3:00, it sounds fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

half_smith

thanks Jimilee, yes I think I say at 7:00 that I want to try changing the pot to 100kC (as recommended by Mark Hammer)

jimilee

Quote from: half_smith on June 06, 2021, 05:19:46 PM
thanks Jimilee, yes I think I say at 7:00 that I want to try changing the pot to 100kC (as recommended by Mark Hammer)
Oh yeah. I just hooked up pots with jumper wires until I found one I liked. [emoji1787] My bad.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

half_smith

haha no worries, but yeah, I have been meaning to try different pots, thanks for mentioning it  :)

jimilee

Quote from: half_smith on June 06, 2021, 08:42:58 PM
haha no worries, but yeah, I have been meaning to try different pots, thanks for mentioning it  :)
Oh yeah, I remember why I said that. I didn't change anything else, I just changed the pot.  I wanted to try to keep it as close to the original as I could....and I didn't want to mess with changing resistors, just too much work on an etched board.

half_smith

I see. I guess I had already desoldered practically every component in my debut debugging fiasco

jimilee

Quote from: half_smith on June 08, 2021, 03:49:03 PM
I see. I guess I had already desoldered practically every component in my debut debugging fiasco
I do t blame you, you did a great job with it.

Thewintersoldier

Nice save and good video
Who the hell is Bucky?