Started by LaceSensor, July 02, 2021, 03:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Quote from: jimilee on July 03, 2021, 02:31:51 PM
Quote from: LaceSensor on July 03, 2021, 02:30:34 PM
Quote from: jimilee on July 03, 2021, 11:56:08 AM
Must....resist....phaser.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever build a doppelganger? You owe it to yourself to do so if you havent.
Kevins version is also quite sensible in ditching the third footswitch and his reasoning is sound. Makes for a very useable device.
Its my favourite of the Lovetone originals.
I built your board, still have it. Is Kevin's much different?

Oh nice, thanks. I forget, as about 300 PCBs have been shipped for that one.

Its the same schematic, but he has addressed the bypass in a few interesting ways. The core functionality and sound will be the same.
Arguably Kevins layout is better and his I/O board saves a lot of offboard wiring. Example, he doesnt rely on 9mm pots which is somewhat moot but useful, and its aesthetically "balanced" in how its all laid out control wise - mine was limited by 10cm width due the version of EAgle used to design the PCB.

Muadzin

I can't wait for these to become available as kits on Musikding. I might come out of pedal building retirement to build these.

benny_profane

I think I need a sanity check for the quadratron's LFOs.

From the build doc: With both LFOs engaged, LFO1 controls the first two stages (depth set by HF Span), and LFO2 controls the last two (depth set by LF Span).

I'm confused by the switching and signal routing with DUAL_LFO A. When A2 is connected to A3, the output of LFO2 inputs to the IC4A->HF_SPAN control and the output of LFO1 inputs to IC6A->LF_SPAN control. Since that balks with the explanation of the LFOs, I think I'm missing something.

Somewhat related, what's going on with the DUAL_LFO C switch pole and D4+D5?

https://aionfx.com/app/files/docs/quadratron_documentation.pdf

LaceSensor

benny_profane

LaceSensor

to be honest the description is correct

When in Single LFO mode, you can consider that there are 4 stages of phase shift. Each on has it own capacitor.
There are two which are considered LF (lower frequency) and two considered HF (higher frequency).
These can either be modulated "inphase" as a sine wave, or out-of-phase as a figure eight using the appropriate switch to choose.

When in Dual LFO mode, LFO one modulates the LF pair at a rate set by LFO1 rate control (and further influenced by the slow and square options).
LFO two modulates the HF pair at a rate set by LFO2 rate control

As for the Diode rectifier, I dont know why that exists or what it does.

benny_profane

That all makes sense. I think I was just tripped up because, left to right, the stage numbering seems off (i.e., HF is stages 1 and 2; LF is stages 3 and 4). It operates as described regardless of the naming, but I'm still confused there.

From the build doc:
LFO 1 Rate and LFO 2 Rate control the speed of the LFOs.

• In single LFO mode, LFO 2 is disabled and LFO 1 controls all four stages.
  • In dual LFO mode, LFO 1 controls the first two stages and LFO 2 controls the last two stages.
  • HF Span sets the depth (intensity) of the first two stages (LFO1) that sweep higher frequencies, with an LED to indicate the effect visually.
  • LF Span sets the depth (intensity) of the last two stages (LFO2) that sweep lower frequencies, with an LED to indicate the effect visually.

On my build, LFO1 is paired with LF Span and LFO2 is paired with HF Span.

LaceSensor

probably just a typo to be honest

LFO 1 controls all four stages normally
In dual mode, its modulating the LF side

LFO 2 modulates the HF side

hope thats clear. your build is working as per the original. The description in the build docs might be off.

aion

Yeah, I think the 2nd bullet point might be mixed around. I'll clarify in the docs and just call them HF and LF instead of interchanging between first and second. But just to make sure I understand the confusion, this would resolve it, correct?

Quote from: benny_profane on July 22, 2021, 07:32:15 AM
LFO 1 Rate and LFO 2 Rate control the speed of the LFOs.

• In single LFO mode, LFO 2 is disabled and LFO 1 controls all four stages.
  • In dual LFO mode, LFO 1 controls the first two stages and LFO 2 controls the last two stages.
  • HF Span sets the depth (intensity) of the first two stages (LFO1) that sweep higher frequencies, with an LED to indicate the effect visually.
  • LF Span sets the depth (intensity) of the last two stages (LFO2) that sweep lower frequencies, with an LED to indicate the effect visually.

benny_profane

Hey Kevin. The new Lovetone projects are really great! I'm glad to see these become supported DIY circuits with such thorough documentation and history.

I think it'd be helpful to have the document describe the relationship between the controls explicitly and avoid using an undefined intermediary descriptor. I think it's okay to use the stage numbering as long as they defined along with the frequency range. The stage numbering is useful for talking about the COLOR control.

Proposed revision:

• In single LFO mode, LFO2 is disabled and LFO1 controls all four stages.
  • In dual LFO mode, LFO1 controls stages 3 and 4 (LF Span) and LFO2 controls stages 1 and 2 (HF Span).
  • LF Span sets the depth (intensity) of the stages that sweep lower frequencies, with an LED to indicate the effect visually. This is controlled by LFO1.
  • HF Span sets the depth (intensity) of the stages that sweep higher frequencies, with an LED to indicate the effect visually. This is controlled by LFO2.

On a related note: I used the B2K pot for the SPAN controls, and all other parts are as specified. In single LFO mode, the entire range of knob is useful. In dual LFO mode, the upper third or so locks up the LED at full brightness with no oscillation. Is that your experience with the build? Should I perhaps lower the value of the series resistors?

LaceSensor

Just to let everyone know, the Flanger? and Ring Stinger are out as of the 19th May
I had a small hand in these and can say they are an engineering marvel

Enjoy
https://aionfx.com/news/theyre-here-two-new-lovetone-projects-based-on-the-flange-with-no-name-and-ring-stinger/

Invertiguy

Quote from: LaceSensor on May 30, 2023, 01:42:08 PM
Just to let everyone know, the Flanger? and Ring Stinger are out as of the 19th May

Enjoy
https://aionfx.com/news/theyre-here-two-new-lovetone-projects-based-on-the-flange-with-no-name-and-ring-stinger/
Awesome! I built the Dead End FX version of the Flange With No Name and while I love the way it sounds it certainly is rather bulky in its 1590D enclosure and takes up a lot of real estate on my pedalboard so a smaller version is right up my alley. I'll certainly be checking them out!
Doomsday Devices

peAk

Quote from: LaceSensor on May 30, 2023, 01:42:08 PM

Enjoy

Slowly building all of these. I am happy with my AlanP Risol, so I may skip that one but these Aion boards are absolutely fantastic.

gordo

I built the Allan P version as well and love it.  It's the size of a shoebox but sounds fantastic.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on June 02, 2023, 06:32:38 PM
I built the Allan P version as well and love it.  It's the size of a shoebox but sounds fantastic.
I've been about halfway through an AlanP for about 2 years now. Looking forward to finishing it one day.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.