News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

HyperCube (and an extension of CultureJam's report about lasers)

Started by gordo, July 04, 2021, 06:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I didn't want to screw up CultureJam's booster thread but this relates.  I'm finally getting a grip on the 30w NEJE laser and it's all good.  Just not with this pedal.  I shot a test on the back plate and then figured I could focus without moving the laser pak.  Bad move.  I'm not unhappy with this enclosure, I'm just bummed at what could have been.  Lesson learned.

In the meantime, great take on the old FZ-2.  Not my cup of tea but for my Fuzz freak buddies this one will be to die for.

The cool part of the LightBurn software is the ability to control the placement in the field.  So getting an enclosure dialed in still takes some patience, but it's much more precise.  That said, beam aiming is a bit weirder than with the smaller Mini and it burned me (pun easily intended) this time around.  The pics don't indicate as much difference as the real thing.  It's cut thru the powder down to the metal but the topside example was cooked with too wide a beam under too much power.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gordo

Oh and the guts look great, because it's a Kevin build, but I don't have pics yet.  I'll follow up.

Crappy knobs too but I got a great price on them so I'm using a lot of them lately.
Gordy Power

culturejam

Yeah, it's pretty hard not to move the head when focusing, even if only a tiny bit. Focusing is actually the first thing I do. Then I futz around with alignment. Also, I discovered that it's easier and more accurate (at least for my eyes) to set focus with the green protective glasses on. It's so much easier to see when it's a pin-point that way. YMMV, and all that.

Nice build, though!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

I made up a block to set the spacing to 20mm, and from most tests this seems to be the way to go.  Higher laser power but seems more precise.  If I set it down to 5mm and dial back the power it seems too fuzzy.  I've been thru a ton of web stuff but there doesn't seem to be a definitive focus guide.  Even the NEJE guide is vague at best.  I think it boils down to the function.  Are you using this to cut material, scribe material, or etch material.  Then factor in what you're doing.  Wood, plastic, powder coat.  I need to keep a record of what I do, and with what settings.
Gordy Power

jubal81

Another option to try is covering the top with tape first. After the laser, shoot some spray paint and then pull the tape off.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair