News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gardening time

Started by mjg, March 07, 2021, 11:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryklippton

My garden is a bit neglected this year on account of the baby. I have 28 beds that are 14 feet by 30" with 30" walkways in between. We've only got 4 rows of garlic, one row of kale, one half row of fava beans, and I'll have 6 rows of potatoes once I get em in the ground. My brother gave me 8 tomato plants that I've yet to get in the ground. And I just squeezed 12 jalopeƱo plants in the bed directly out the back door where they can get the most sun. Everything else is a weedy mess for now

mjg

This last few weeks I've been pruning the 3 olive trees... they needed a bit of a haircut. 

Before:

After:

'Helpers':

davent

Bit of salad makings today, yesterday a seed delivery arrived, planted up cell packs of all the greens plus green onions. Today started potting up tomatoes for the patio as well as our peppers.

Bought bags of horse manure based compost, fish compost, worm castings as well as leaf compost, was sure my own wasn't going to be ready on time, it was, can't have too much. Compost gets mixed with a peat based mix , some builder's sand, then organic fertilizer, Azomite added to the pots and 'Myke' to dust the transplant roots.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

peAk

Awesome stuff Guys.

Any of you get fire ants in your garden? It's been raining here a lot and I am getting them pretty bad. I have some orange oil thats being delivered today and hopefully that works. Any other ideas for ants and other insects in general, would be great to hear about. I am familiar with neem oil but that's about it

davent

Quote from: peAk on June 06, 2021, 07:42:50 AM
Awesome stuff Guys.

Any of you get fire ants in your garden? It's been raining here a lot and I am getting them pretty bad. I have some orange oil thats being delivered today and hopefully that works. Any other ideas for ants and other insects in general, would be great to hear about. I am familiar with neem oil but that's about it

Maybe diatomaceous earth, has to make contact with the ants. We don't have fire ants up here but use it for the ants we do have.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

KMRO

Great looking gardens y'all.  I'm especially envious of the olive trees . . . they seem to be 1/3 of my diet.  Does it take a lot to process the olives? Brine and all that?

We grow blueberries, grapes (poorly), cherries and kitchen herbs.  But I ate a bowl of the first harvest blueberries for breakfast today . . . delicious!

mjg

Yeah the olives go in salty water, changed every few days, for a few weeks at least, then get packed into oil with garlic and herbs.  The most time intensive part is having to slice each olive before putting them in the water, so they can get the disgusting raw olive flavour out, and the good flavour in. 

rockola

Here's my "garden" here on the 4th floor. About five different chili varieties, a lonely tomato, and lemon balm.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

gordo

I've never seen a real olive tree, so thanks for the pix!  I could live on blueberries and cherries.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

davent

A week after transplanting the tomatoes are pushing up and through the netting so liberation time. Moved the hoops over a foot and put up the trellises, seven and half feet tall, a couple tomatoes varieties will easily surpass that and need to run along the top rail.

Garlic scapes forming already, potted up peppers coming along great and a tray of various annuals to get scattered about in a few different beds.

dave

davent

All kinds of greens, tomatoes and peppers have started, garlic should be ready to harvest in the next couple days, flowers everywhere. After very little rain and cold in May it's been a pretty balanced summer so far here.

Take care!dave