News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Deathklaw with Modulation

Started by Bio77, July 25, 2021, 04:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

It's been a personal goal of mine to do my own PCB layout.  This is the my first and I'm pretty pumped. It works and sounds pretty awesome.  8) Thanks to Dan Shutone for all his advice.

Circuit is Bean's Deathklaw with an added modulation section and a slam switch.  I'm scheming on a project that will have 6-8 PT2399s and I wanted to get some experience laying out the SMD packages.  Unfortunately, I didn't know that 2399s have 3 packages.  This SMD footprint is pretty big, I don't see a big advantage in space saving.  Also, I misunderstood the ghost control on the original DeathKlaw, I wish I had added that in.

The enclosure is a Tayda UV print.  This pedal is a gift for a friend.  The image is a picture I took of him for a college photography class.  I used an overhead projector to cast the PCB trace on his face.  At the time, I did't even know that's what is was.  ;D

jjjimi84

Yeah that is awesome! What program did you do to make the layout? This is super cool, really nice work.

jimilee

Really nice job Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Thanks guys! 

Quote from: jjjimi84 on July 25, 2021, 05:09:17 PM
Yeah that is awesome! What program did you do to make the layout? This is super cool, really nice work.
I used Eagle, still learning but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

matmosphere

Excellent! Looks great, and it's way more ambitious than anything I've attempted to layout so far.

cooder

Most excellent, great layout, great looks, what a project! Well done to the max!
BigNoise Amplification

gordo

That's just crazy cool. Easily your most creative work to date. It took me a minute to "get" the face. It's my understanding that the SMD PTs are more consistent? 
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

m-Kresol

great work. Eagle will get easier with time. I had a look at Altium Designer at work.... this is extremely overkill for what we do here, but it's so extremely powerful (and complicated)
I really like the way the finished pedal looks with the knobs and pot layout
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

mjg

That artwork looks excellent. Really nice job there.

Bio77

Thanks everyone!

Quote from: gordo on July 25, 2021, 07:08:58 PM
That's just crazy cool. Easily your most creative work to date. It took me a minute to "get" the face. It's my understanding that the SMD PTs are more consistent?
I'm not too sure about the consistency.  I did a lot of testing with the DIP PT2399s: SB versus Tayda (I bought ~30  ::)).  I didn't notice a huge difference between vendors, it's seems more like luck of the draw.  You can find a good one and squeeze a few more ms of clean delay out of it.  The attraction of this circuit was to just give up on finding good 2399s.  If you plan to use 50% of the delay time, it's a lot more likely it's going to be clean.  I wanted to use the SMDs from Tayda, they're ~$0.50, but I goofed on the footprint.  These SMDs are from SB and they're $5  :P

Quote from: m-Kresol on July 26, 2021, 12:48:47 AM
great work. Eagle will get easier with time. I had a look at Altium Designer at work.... this is extremely overkill for what we do here, but it's so extremely powerful (and complicated)
I really like the way the finished pedal looks with the knobs and pot layout
Thanks, Felix.  I need to learn how to do the 3D rendering you did for the BF-2.  I barely had enough room to get my foot switches in.  Luckily, it worked. 

dan.schumaker

Looks awesome!  Glad you were able to get it to work first time through!

fig

Bravo...That is incredible from the inside out!
I'm lookin' for this place called Lee Ho Fooks

Boba7

Wow that's so beautiful, amazing job! I would love to hear it too!
What modulation circuit did you use? Lately I've been thinking of building a Deathlaw with a little less filtering on the repeats and adding the modulation section from the Dirtbaby.

Bio77

Thanks!  I think the modulation might be from the Dirt Baby, I forget.  I know I took a look at a few different modulation set ups and the DB was one. 

Sorry, I no longer have this pedal for sound clips.  It was given to the guy in the graphic  ;D

Happy to share Eagle files if that helps with your project.  You might want to use either the small or the large PT2399s.  I've only seen the middle size 2399s, used here, for sale at Small Bear and they won't be available much longer. 

Boba7

Thanks for all the info, yeah I noticed there was different smd sizes!
Between all the madbean delays and the deadastronaut ones, I think I will come up with something eventually :)
Thanks!