News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How Do I Enlarge Just The Pads In Eagle

Started by skypn, August 10, 2021, 04:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

I've just been chasing my tail with this, and I'm going nuts.  I've conquered (so far), the act of milling PCB's on my little CNC machine. I find the resulting pads are just a little too small for my limited skills to get an iron on after I  apply the solder mask, and would like to enlarge the pads on a component by component basis. All I need to change from the parts I'm using are the pads.
I tried to use the minimum size thing in the DRC which enlarges all the pads, but then the transistors, and IC's pads touch. I can enlarge those pads by hand, by just leading a thicker trace, then using a Sharpie to enlarge the mask printed on transparency paper to block the UV curing. Of course I don't want to have to do this for all components, but a hand full of pads are no biggie. Just a nudge in the right direction will help.
TIA

Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

davent

Not familiar with Eagle but, with another PCB software i use, i drop a single pad somewhere on the art, highlight it and every other pad/component i want to have with the same size pad, i then change the size of that single pad i dropped in and every other pad that is also highlighted changes to the new size. If you have a component with different shaped pads square/round they will all become the one shape.

No idea whether something similar would work with Eagle.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Bio77

I'm an Eagle newbie, so, grain of salt implied.  It seems that you want bigger pads for resistors and caps but everything else is fine.  I think you might want to make a few custom parts for your library.  There was a JMK video tutorial for making parts, but it seems to be down.  You might have to search youtube.   

m-Kresol

yes, you need to modify the parts in the library.
Open the respective library, look for the part and right-click --> edit the pad you want to resize. You'll find inner and outer diameter to adjust.
Just make sure it is the same resistor, cap or whatever part that you also used in the pcb layout.
Once you did that, go back into your project and go to update library and that should apply the changes. maybe do a backup of the library and project before that.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

skypn

m-K
Thank you! It took a little of trial and error to to get to where I needed, but I did find it.
P.S. I also learned a lot from your PCB etching tutorial.
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

m-Kresol

you're very welcome. good to hear someone is still looking at my tutorial :)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Rockhorst

Eagle is so counter intuitive with parts editing. I have to figure it out from scratch everytime. Luckily that not often. Once you have the part, it's for keeps.