News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SAD1024 Builds

Started by cloudprofessor, August 13, 2021, 06:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloudprofessor

Hey all,

I recently found two vintage SAD1024s in an old drawer of my dad's electronics stuff. I was wondering if anyone knew of any build projects kicking around that I could use these for?

Govmnt_Lacky

Although I am sure you will receive a few PMs about selling them, I can say that Brian had an etchable MXR Flanger project quite a while ago. Maybe hit him up and ask if he can pass along the file?

There is also the original EHX Echoflanger project that uses 2 x SAD1024s. I have an etchable file for that if you are interested.

Zerro

Unhapilly you must wait higher noise here, in compare with modern delay lines.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

danfrank

I have to agree with Zorro on this one. SAD ICs are a lot noisier. BUT... The treble tends to shine with these chips, which I think is more because they are 512 stage BBDs. I know "Mooseopotamus" had a board made for the old A/DA flanger that uses SAD1024 IC. If you like flangers, this is the one to get.

Zigcat

Just hold onto them. Fix the existing vintage stuff. Still waiting on some xvive repop at some point, but doubtful.

gordo

Nothing sounds like an real Reticon.  Noise and all...  I hadn't thought of it danfrank but I guess that better top end would explain the noise.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

danfrank

The noise comes from the lower s/n ratio of the SAD chip, it's 70db vs 85 db for the equivalent MN3004. The advantage of the SAD chip is that it can be driven to extreme clock speeds, but that doesn't really matter because after a certain clock speed the chip losses become excessive. But, the SAD IC gets much quieter after the clock speed gets above 20kHz.
I'm not convinced that the SAD1024 sounds better than the Panasonic or Xvive ICs. I've done tests and played around with all 3 types and I really don't think the Reticon sounds better. Of course it's all subjective.

Zerro

Yes. Chorus doesn't need high delay time, so you can raise clock at cca 20 kHz. Thus you can have LPF before ADL set at cca 6 kHz, which is enough for chorus line. Years before I have got Memory Man from EHX, and chorus was very good. But delay was limited at higher freq, making interference thrills here.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"