News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Total Recall Power supply

Started by Axeman, August 14, 2021, 04:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axeman

Hey guys, I just ordered a EHX 24Vdc from Amazon for my Total Recall build.  Before adding power to the pedal, I measured the output of the power supply and I was reading 32.3Vdc.  Can I use it safely?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mauman

Sounds like an unregulated power supply, which has interaction between output voltage and current.  Output voltage should drop to 24V when supplying the rated current, but V will be higher at lower current (or no load) and lower at higher currents.  Regulated supplies attempt to keep V constant over a wide(r) range of output currents. Try putting a non-important load across it (lamp?) and measure the V, I'll bet it drops.

madbean

Quote from: Axeman on August 14, 2021, 04:37:36 PM
Hey guys, I just ordered a EHX 24Vdc from Amazon for my Total Recall build.  Before adding power to the pedal, I measured the output of the power supply and I was reading 32.3Vdc.  Can I use it safely?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

All the EHX 24v PS are unregulated like that. Mine measures about the same as your reading. It's okay, the nominal voltage will drop once a load is attached.

Axeman

Axeman

Zerro

Such a voltage drop shows, that that power supply is very weak, so here is a danger of overheating, and burning out. With unpredictable riot going inside your Total Recal.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

madbean

Quote from: Zerro on August 15, 2021, 05:55:36 AM
Such a voltage drop shows, that that power supply is very weak, so here is a danger of overheating, and burning out. With unpredictable riot going inside your Total Recal.

An unregulated output is sometimes less ideal but not necessarily any riskier here than one that is. The EHX PS is designed to provide 24v so long as the current draw spec is not exceeded. That output is regulated within the circuit itself.

Axeman

I'm getting -23.7vdc and moreover it works great