News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

For Jimi Lee... The Glass Bi-Hole

Started by danfrank, August 24, 2021, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

It had to be done, it was only a matter of time... The Glass Bi-Hole, as in two holes. Double your pleasure, double your fun... What were we talking about again??
Anyway, this is a Bi-Phase using 2 Glass Hole boards. I built the pedalpcb Duo Phase and fell in love with the way it sounded so I got the Brite idea, "why not do this with 2 Glass Hole boards where the phaser stages can be mixed and/or matched?? Like I said, it had to be done.
Luckily, each Glass Hole board has 2 unused op amps which come in handy for making the sync/inverted LFOs.
How does it sound??? I have no idea, I'm waiting for the glue to dry on the light shields... But soon, very very soon...
Many thanks to Brian for making these boards available and especially for answering some questions I had about the boards. These boards were perfect for making this up, unfortunately, I over-thought it. It was a case of "if it's not broken don't fix it. Lol!
I was able to figure out a way to incorporate an expression pedal to control the LFO(s), the 3rd pic shows the +/- 5 volt supply needed. It works very well.
And yeah, my paint job sux, it needs knobs plus some other cosmetic stuff. I don't care! I do this strictly for the electronic manipulation!
They don't call me Franklinstein for nothin! Lol

skyled

Very impressive. Could you detail your expression pedal mod? I came up with a very simple method that accomplishes the same thing, just varying the voltage going to the LED to control its brightness, but I haven't finished my build so I don't know if it gives a good sweep control.

Here's my method:
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=31578.msg303769#msg303769

danfrank

Hi Brak! I loved watching you on Cartoon Planet!
Basically, it's a +/-5 volt supply and I put +5 on the tip and -5 on the sleeve, with the pedal's wiper going to the ring. Ring switch goes to LFO "A". See attachments.
You can switch the +/-5 with tip and sleeve if you like the sweep going the other way (toe up or toe down).

mjg

Quote from: danfrank on August 24, 2021, 02:18:32 PM

How does it sound??? I have no idea, I'm waiting for the glue to dry on the light shields...

Fantastic - this is the best sort of experimenting

danfrank

It sounds neat-0!!
I had to work a couple of bugs out of it, with the switching and with the LEDs syncing with the LFOs.

jimilee

Duuuuuude. Very impressive, I gotta hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Holy mudder o' gad!!  We need sound files on this beast.  Looks like WAY too much fun could be had with this thing.  I really like the original so doubled up has to be nuts.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

cooder

Epic, what a great build and hack! Gotta wrap my head around that...
BigNoise Amplification

danfrank

Ok, here's the 1st video of this. The expression pedal is hooked up, it's working when both phasers are in sync but wasn't working in inverse mode here because the null pot on the expression pedal wasn't zeroed out.
I'll try to get some more videos posted soon.

https://youtu.be/kwpeLX9eyQ4

danfrank

cooder

Super cool, thanks for posting those! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

That is really cool. Is that a $1500 price rage hanging down on the headstock?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

danfrank

Not my guitar... I just walked into a music store and told them to start playing through the pedal. Lol!

Here's a couple more videos. The following guy likes using the internal LFO on phaser "B" and the expression pedal on phaser "A":

https://youtu.be/MPxwRGrTAC4

https://youtu.be/Jxo_3Kb_Pvc

danfrank

If you like the Bi-Phase, you really need to build one JimiLee. This thing is a lot more versital than the Bi-Phase with sounds.

jimilee

Quote from: danfrank on August 31, 2021, 07:37:33 PM
If you like the Bi-Phase, you really need to build one JimiLee. This thing is a lot more versital than the Bi-Phase with sounds.
That's what I'm thinking.